A Touch of Inspiration *Minhwan Wanna One (revised)

There was something about late nights that people loved. The crave of pulse, of the silent world where most of the population were in between dreams. Jaehwan stood between two coffee machines as he flipped through a magazine that someone had left an hour ago. A silent yawn had escaped his mouth as he tried to concentrate on the words that were on the paper. He wouldn't say that this magazine was the best, because it wasn't, but it was the only thing keeping him from getting lost in the boredom of the hours that seemed to stretch for years.

Jaehwan was deprived from sleep, his eyes felt so dry, they longed for moisture, for its eyelids to rebel and close so that sleep could come and drift its owner to wonderland. School was so important to him; he would spend most of his time doing everything he could to make sure he could attend school and realize his dreams. Because he couldn't concentrate during late afternoons, he was willing to get morning classes which best worked for him because that allowed him to work late nights to early mornings.

It had been so hard for him to find a job that worked around his schedule and so close to his dorm. Luckily his roommate's best friend worked at a café that were looking for employees who were interested in working the night shift. Thanks to his decision to work at night, he found himself drowsy and unable to concentrate during the day, mostly during the days he had to work when he had a class.

But when whenever he came to work, his drowsiness and want of sleep would disappear, and the night became his energy, the people coming in were so interesting that it was like he was watching a movie.

Jaehwan couldn't help but fall in love with the night. Some people stayed longer on their laptops, browsing while sipping their coffees. Couples had deep conversations, and some people stopped to eat something from their long hour drive through highways. That was the power of a place who led its doors to people who cannot go to sleep, too many problems on their mind, to the people who found their creativity at a crazy time where the vibe shifted to something inexplicable, a feeling that sometimes, even himself, he couldn't come up with an explanation.

The door chimed indicating that it was time for Jaehwan to put the magazine down and get rid of his sleepiness. Tonight, the traffic of people were slow. There wasn't a lot to view and Jaehwan, wanting to get rid of his sleepiness, had thought a magazine would amuse his eyes. He even felt like leaving. Sleeping would be more interesting than this.

A yawn had escaped his mouth but he quickly composed himself. Obviously, the magazine had the opposite effect. Looking at the words as lines while he read the magazine had truly made him see vertical lines. It had taken him a while to see clearly again, and when he did, he was ready to work.

Standing over the cash register, Jaehwan watched an old lady come in, a smile so sweet it made Jaehwan smile. The old lady was a regular customer, although she came at different hours every time she came to the cafe. It made Jaehwan wonder if she couldn't sleep or there was something that was troubling her.

The lady took her wallet before she spoke and that was an indication that Jaehwan was supposed to ask her for her order.

"Hi, what can I get you?" Jaehwan began to tap on the screen, his fingers automatically going to what she usually orders.

"The usual. This time I don't want a lot of sugar." Jaehwan nodded, his finger already on the press button of her total. Without asking for her total, the lady took her debit card and began to pay for her order.

Once the lady paid, Jaehwan returned back to his magazine. He wasn't a minute into the next line he had been stuck reading for a while, when his friend, and co-worker, Jae came in through the back, tying his apron on his waist.