I'm Not that Cruel Showki *Part 13

By the time Kihyun and his friends got out of the room, Shownu was already inside, walking into the kitchen. His smile had been present but very distant. His usual quirky smile and talkative mouth was gone.

There was no surprise to see Shownu change his demeanor with Minhyk and Hyungwon present. His mind briefly looked at them while he put the grocery bags on the table. A tiny smile crept up onto his mouth. "Sorry for the delay. I got caught up with work. Have you guys eaten anything?"

Kihyun for a few seconds stood silent, dumbfounded. With his friends finally finding out about Shownu's secret, Kihyun found it difficult to say anything that wouldn't sound like he was angry or had a slightly different pitch than the one he usually had.

As he watched Shownu pull ingredients out of the plastic bags, one of his children began to kick. The kick was light, unharmful. These light kicks brought him to forget about his mixed emotions regarding Shownu and his secret.

There was something about him that when he was around Shownu, butterflies would erupt. It didn't help that his kids would kick whenever Shownu was present. Kihyun desired him the same as his kids did.

"We got caught up on our conversation that we forgot about food, " Kihyun finally said; he walked toward Shownu, forgetting about the butterfly sensations his belly was producing. He stands next to him and helps him with the rest of the groceries.

Kihyun can feel the intimidation that Shownu was feeling by the way his shoulders tensed up and his mind is fiddling coming up with something to say. To help Shownu release some of that intimidation, Kihyun interlocks his pinky with that of Shownu's and softly speaks to him so that Minhyuk and Hyungwon cannot hear what he's telling him. "Don't let your position at the office ruin the person you are outside of it."

"I'm not, " Shownu began, tumbling over his next words, unable to say something comprehensible. His hands were out of ingredients and he looked for more. When there wasn't anymore he finally said, " I don't know how to behave with them when my nickname is 'sociopath'. A nickname like that makes it really difficult for people to see the humanity in me."

Kihyun opened his mouth only to shut it a second later. He didn't expect Shownu to say 'sociopath.' Everyone in the office called him by his nickname whenever Shownu wasn't around or when he left cubicles only after he had shouted them for something they couldn't control.

He thought that everyone had been discreet. They only whispered, adding negative connotations to the sentences, fueling their hatred for their boss with the intensity of their voices.

But he had not expected Shownu to know his nickname. No one dared say it in front of him. No one dared to talk back to him, not even to complain.

Kihyun, while still keeping his pinky intact with that of Shownu's, averted his eyes to his friends who were intently watching them with curiosity and uncomfortableness.

Minhyuk nodded his head as if to say, 'What is going on?' Kihyun shook his head and bit his lip. He wanted to scream 'help'; the confession had turned his body cold. Having his pinky still there while he wanted to flee from the situation changed the way he wanted to respond to Shownu.

Finally, looking back at Shownu, he removed his pinky and instead interlocked their hands; Kihyun brought their hands behind the counter and whispered with certainty, "Then prove to them that you're a human with feelings. Show them that you're not what they say you are. Show them Shownu, not Mr. Son."

Before Shownu could respond, Hyungwon cut through, " Aww, don't think I didn't see that hand-holding moment. I wanted to scream."

Kihyun relaxed his shoulders. Thank God for Hyungwon's quirky self. His comment caused Shownu to chuckle. Shownu shook his head and looked to the ground.