174 - First Stop

Dagan Zephyr - POV;

After our unusual and unanticipated run-in Lord Damon's widowed wife, we had continued on our journey towards Oceanica, believing her promise to refrain from alerting Lord Seraphim to our location. Even if she had tipped him off, we took solice in the fact that we were still a few steps ahead as she had no idea where we were going upon leaving Neptulus City, much less where the train we took would carry us.

We were more than thankful to face no further hiccups and before we knew it, we were seated on our train and well on our way towards our destination; a traditional, somewhat antique train station in the valleys of the Great Western Range known as Olde Dryad Station. It served as one of the only connections between the built, rural areas in the spectacular mountain range and the outside world.

Night had fallen upon us and the others had turned in for the time being, exhausted from our long journeys and lacking any substantial rest. I, on the other hand, couldn't do the same even if I tried. Instead, I relegated myself to the rear of our passenger car where I sipped on a cup of coffee while looking at the photo of my family which I always kept at hand.

"Can't sleep?"

I raised my eyes to see Naomi standing over me, her warm smile illuminated only by the cool light of the full moon streaming in through the window. Her dark hair shimmered under it, granting her an ethereal aura that accentuated her beauty.

"Yeah," I answered quietly, "I guess it's just been ingrained in me to stay up and watch over these guys to make sure they're safe."

"I know exactly how that feels," she giggled and took a seat across from me, coddling a small teacup in her palms, "Even when mom was still here, I'd often help her look out for the others but now that she's gone... I feel so much more that I have to give my all to look after Jaya, Ciara, Emiko and Sid; to ensure that they have all the love, protection and guidance they would ever need. It's stupid when you really think about it since, well, theyre all grown already and able to stand on their own two feet, especially Sid and Emiko. Jaya's studies have gone to the next level. She's already creating and inventing new things that are sure to be revolutionary. Sid has fully embraced his angelic roots and has reached new heights with it. Ciara has been working on her musical talents; serenading the villagers and even sharing some of her techniques woth them. Emiko has been dedicating so much time to mastering the arts of physical combat and her mastery over her Element of Light, with hopes of training disciples in these arts one day. They are all setting out into the world, leaving the nest with proud strides, and yet I still feel the need to hold them tight. It's the same for you right?"

"Is it though?"

"I think it is. From what I hear, you were always somewhat of the leader of Zephyr's Epitomes. Everyone else looked up to you to keep things together. You feel it too: the desire to protect all of them and keep them safe," she continued.

"Didn't you hear? At this point, I really only care about my sister," I stated.

"Alva was telling me that you said something like that. All of you did. Professing how you really felt or something like that?" Naomi  revealed.

"Yep. So now you know my inner thoughts. Now you see how I truly feel," I snickered.

"Well, I think you're wrong," she shrugged.

"Huh?"

"We all have dark thoughts. In our moments of weakness, desperation, despair and fear we may sometimes think or say things that we don't really mean but when we look back on that time, we regret it. It's the same for you. You may have said that you only want your sister back... but you want the rest of them home safely just as much, don't you? You WANT to save all of them. In fact, even if you did get the opportunoty to save only Jacqueline and run... you would never do that. You'd stay to the end if necessary, trying to bring the rest of them back too. Even if you say otherwise, that's how things will end up. After all; that's the kind of person you are," she grinned.