178 - The Lost Train

Dagan Zephyr - POV;

"Sooooo, I think it's safe to say that this is where shit hit the fan!" Jaya exclaimed as we stared at the devastated scene.

After discovering a clue as to Xyder's next stop after departing the scene of his massacre, we gave chase; following in his footsteps in the hopes of coming ever so much closer to finding him. We hurried back to Barrington and made our way to the Olde Dryad Station. After substantial debate, we opted to follow the tracks by foot. Sneaking around the back, we hopped down onto the rails and bolted along them despite... no, especially because of the enraged guard that had, unfortunately, caught sight of us and bellowed angrily for us to return.

Our Elemental abilities proved useful to us in covering ground more quickly. Fira, Rydia, Storm and Alva were quite self explanatory, propelling themselves at fast speeds with their respective elements. I, on the other hand, had to create a levitating, earthen platform upon which Ciara, Naomi, Jaya, Satella and I could be transported. Sure, it required much more energy and concentration on my part and also travelled much more slowly than the former four's abilities... but mine had far more utility and was clearly the best if I do say so myself.

It still took us some two hours of travelling before we finally came to something intriguing. The track suddenly split down two paths, one of which, namely the right path, seemed to be out of commission. Fira, Rydia, Storm and Alva opted to form one team and go down the left citing that they were all self sufficient in their movements and were far quicker. This certainly rubbed me the wrong way, but being the mature leader I was, I agreed to these terms and took the remainder of our group to the right. A further thirty minutes later, we stumbled upon the scene of what was clearly a great struggle.

The rails were disconnected... or rather obliterated by some ungodly force. At least a hundred feet of the tracks were broken off from the centre and strewn about in jagged pieces. The intact portions on either side led to a deep impression in the earth where it seemed to have split and crack under intense pressure creating a sizable crater. Twisted wheels, metal plates and glass shards were scattered across the damaged land and a familiar, stifling aura of gloom hung in the air as the surviving blades of grass wilted, seemingly marked by death.

"Jaya. Language," Naomi murmured before clearing her throat and shouting, "Holy fu-"

"Dagan!" Fira called out loudly as she and the rest of her team descended in a spectacular display of elements and colours. Okay, now they were just trying to show off and get under my skin.

"We came as soon as you called," Alva announced.

"What the hell," Storm spoke up, looking off at the unusual scene.

"Did you guys find anything?" I questioned.

"We didn't. Everything was fine on the other side. We actually had reached the end and were planning to come back when you rung," Rydia revealed.

Fira continued, "Both the left and right paths re-joined each other at the ends. The left path was much, much longer than this one though."

At this point I was totally convinced that she was enjoying belittling me, especially given her smug smile.

"What do you think happened here?" Satella inquired.

"I have a few theories based on the evidence we have here. I'm not sure if you'll like it though," I told her.

"Hit us with your best shot, Sherlock," Naomi snickered.

Why did it seem as if everyone was out to make fun of me?

With a sigh, I explained, "Xyder clearly went berserk in that village in the mountains. How or why? I don't know. Regardless, it seems that someone there recognised him and managed to escape. Xyder couldn't allow that. He gave chase but the escapee had already boarded the departing Golden Lion. Xyder's smart. He knew he couldn't make a scene right there... so he gave them time. He allowed the train to get far enough for his victim to think he'd successfully run away but also he let the train get far enough away that it wasn't even remotely in the vicinity of civilization... and then he struck. If I were to guess, he slammed down on top of the train and the tremendous force caused the earth to sink and splinter beneath it, but not before ripping the tracks in the area to shreds. The train seemed to have derailed and rolled haphazardly across the ground if those drag marks are to be believed. That's probably when all of these parts were flung about. He must have taken the wreckage from here and carried it somewhere else... how he did this I'm not certain, but it appears to be the case. Regardless, I can feel the taint of Xyder's dark prowess so he was clearly responsible. That's the truth behind the mystery of the disappearing train."