126 - Depend On Me

Dagan Zephyr - POV;

I stood at the desk tucked away in the corner of our room as I poured over the notes I had scibbled in my journal. Time and time again, I read everything from our progress and hints towards discovering where Blaze had hidden themselves and our friends away to the various team and combo combat variations we had been looking into in order to improve our performance in the tournament.

"Nero's been using his resources to track as many business transactions, public appearances and interactions of Blaze as possible and it definitely seems that they are primarily operating in this region," I muttered to myself, "I doubt they're further out of the continent. It's always possible that they were shipped out somewhere under the radar but it's most likely that our friends are being kept somewhere nearby. Emiko and Zeliel has been tailing the members of Blaze in and around the city as well. I'm sure they will turn up something soon. Blaze has to have people going to and from their hideouts."

"Hey."

The sudden voice caught me completely by surprise, causing me to jump slightly. I fumbled with my book which had hopped out of my hands, trying to catch hold of it once more but eventually it dropped shut on the table beneath.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" Celes began.

"It's okay, it's not your fault," I sighed, "I've just been really on edge recently. I think the lack of sleep and the stress is finally getting to me."

"You haven't been getting enough sleep? Are you sure that's okay?" she asked worriedly, "Don't you think you might be pushing yourself too hard? With Xyder safe and us back in the competition, you have the chance to take a rest. I know you've been trying to look out for everyone but you need to think about yourself too."

"I can't say you're wrong but damn... I feel so stupid. After I spent so long trying to put on a brave face, for someone to see me as pitiful as this," I said, half-whispering.

"You've always put on that Mr. Perfect act. As the Class Represemtative and Prefect you'd always try to take charge of everything. Throughout school you'd always strive for perfect test scores which put you at the top of class. You'd  even make sure you were pushing your elemental affinity to its maximum. You don't have to be on top of everything you know? That's what the rest of us are for. The Epitomes of Zephyr are there to be the best, together," she stated.

"I guess you're right.... actually, I know you are. Even so, I can't help but feel like I have to be the best I can. I have to be as strong as possible in every aspect to live up to the Zephyr name, to make my parents proud... and most of all to ensure Jacqueline has the best life possible," I declared, "I made an oath that I would see that come to pass."

"Dagan."

"Yes?"

"Why are you so stubborn? It's good to have flaws. Actually, as humans we need them. That's the only thing that makes us interesting and separates us from each other," she muttered.

"Flaws?"

"We all have flaws and that's okay because we'll eventually find those other people who make up for our flaws and whose flaws we make up for. We're all in this mess together Dagan. You can lean on us when you need it. You don't need to pretend to be sturdier than you are. You can show your weaknesses to us. That's what we're here for. You can depend on us... on me. I'll protect you ith my everything," she declared, stepping towards me, until we were barely a foot apart.

"Celes? What are you-"

"I don't know what the future holds for us. None of us do. As much as we all pretend that it will all be okay and that we will pull through this, deep down we're all scared. Xyder, Evelynn... even you and I... we're afraid. I've been meaning to say this to you but I've been worried that it would ruin the friendship between us, but now I realise I may not have another chance to do so if I miss it now," she said as she boldly stepped forward and, grabbing the back of my head, pulled herself in for a kiss.

****
Evelynn Zephyr - POV;

"Hmm, hmm, hmm," I hummed to myself as I strolled down the hallways of the Rising Flames Hotel. I found myself in an unexpectedly heightened mood as I replayed the song I'd recently gotten stuck in my head. As I turned the corner to our rooms, I noticed Sorine leaning against the wall a couple feet away from the open doorway to the boys' room. She held her arms tightly folded against her chest as she stared at the ground with a stern expression as if lost in thought.

"Hey, Sor. What's up? Why the long face?" I greeted her curiously. Like a statue, she didn't budge even slightly. Instead, she completely ignored my presence.

"Sorine?" I called out again. This time, she closed her eyes and ever so subtly, moved her head in the direction of the room. Confused and uncertain of the situation, I peered inside gingerly only to find my eyes witness to an interesting scene, to say the least. There, at the corner, a shameless act unfolded. Celes stood infront of Dagan, raised on her toes and with arms wrapped around his neck as she pressed her lips against his. He, in turn, hugged her closely by the waist, creating a truly raunchy scene.

"Oh... that's what's up," I murmered, pulling away and facing Sorine once more. She continued to stare at the floor, lost in her own world. Despite my usual comments, I really did feel bad for her especially since it was obvious how she felt about the brown-haired male.

"Sorine, listen," I said to her. Without ever looking towards me, she exhaled deeply before lifting herself off the wall slowly and walking away, bearing the same expression and burdened by her emotions. I opted to let her have her space as it seemed best at this time.

"God damn it Dagan, you dirty playboy. Someone should really have your tail gelded."