Chapter 14

It's been weeks since I applied to University and I'm anxiously waiting for the letter to see if I got in or not. I spent hours writing the application essay that I asked Dana, Jimin, and Taehyung all to read and revise to make sure it was perfect. I had two recommendation letters, one from my boss who even though I hate, I'm still a good worker that even he can't deny, and from a past professor when I went to community college. I worked hard during this entire application process and now I'm more motivated than ever to go back to school. I had been thinking about it a lot, but I always brought myself down and didn't think I was ready or good enough. But I'm so glad I finally did.

I look out my window around the time that the mail usually comes and conveniently, I spot the mail truck leaving my street. I fast-walk outside to the mailbox, wearing nothing but my black robe and slippers as I was just going to grab the mail and run back inside.

I unlock the hatch and see a large, bended envelope. I take it out and the University's name was printed in huge letters across the top.

This is is.

This is my acceptance or denial.

My heart starts pounding and I quickly lock the mailbox and run back into my apartment, completely forgetting the fact that I was wearing a robe.

My fingers fumble trying to find Dana's contact because I want to be on FaceTime with her when I open it. Whether I was accepted or not, I still needed the support.

The call connects right away and when it does she's lying down in bed, but in a bed that's not hers.

"Hey Maddy, what's up?"

"Hey, I'm sorry did I wake you up?"

"No." She giggles. "I'm just relaxing. I'm at Taehyung's." She points the screen over to him and he's next to her, laying on his side. He smiles and waves when he sees me.

"Oh hi! I'm sorry I didn't mean to interrupt but my decision letter came in the mail."

"I DON'T CARE OPEN IT! TAE! HOLD MY HAND!"

I set my phone up so that it's leaning against the arm of the couch as I'm sitting on it so they can still see me but also so I can use both hands to open the letter.

I finally manage to rip it free of the envelope and take a deep breath.

"Okay, here it goes."

I scan the letter, reading the stereotypical "thank you for applying to our school" bullshit.

Then I get to the decision and then I read the "congratulations" followed by the "you have been accepted.." blah blah blah. My eyes grow wide and I gasp.

"Well?" Dana asks.

"I got in!" I say as tears start to gather in my eyes.

"YES I KNEW YOU WOULD!" The tears that were forming in my eyes started falling down my cheeks. "I'm so proud of you, Maddy."

"Yeah congratulations Maddy! You worked hard for this, you deserve it." Taehyung chimes in.

"Thank you guys." I wipe the tears away from my face and pick up my phone to hold it closer to my face. "Thanks for all the help and support guys."

"You're welcome. But that was all you. You got yourself in."

"My mom is going to be so proud."

"We're all proud. I'm gonna take you out to celebrate. Are you off tomorrow or the next day?" The fact that she wants to take me out for something like this really makes me feel grateful to have such a great support system.