5~다섯~

"Guess what, baby?"

"I'm not your baby."

Jimin chuckled. "Sure."

"What?" She stopped writing her essay, looking straight ahead. Jimin had intercepted her on the way to the library and was now holding her back from completing her work.

"It's my birthday tomorrow."

"And?"

"I want you to do something with me."

Yani craned her neck to look at him weirdly. "Why? It's your birthday, not mine."

He handed her a black scroll, tied with a silver ribbon. "Read it."

To whom it might concern,

You are cordially invited to Park Jimin's birthday gala on the 13th of October at the Park residence. Time of arrival is 8 o'clock in the evening, no earlier or later.

Bring your scroll as the invitation is needed to gain access into the residence.

Dress formally.

The Park Family

"What if I don't want to go?"

"I'll make you come." Jimin said simply, as if there was no way Yani couldn't come. "I will arrive at your house and bathe you, dress you and carry you to the car. No matter what, you will be there."

"If you were going to demand, there wasn't a point in asking me was there."

"That's the thing. I didn't ask you anything. You are coming, Yani." He pulled her chair closer by clutching underneath the seat, making her lurch to the side. "Ooh, I like this position." Her head lifted from his lap and she looked at him with a glare.

"Fine. I'll come to your stupid party. Just let me finish my work."

And that he did. Jimin watched her as she finished her essay, smiling as she let out a sigh of relief. "You have a ride home?"

"Oh my goodness!" She forgot that she had notified no one about her change in schedule. Yani called her brother, praying that he would pick up.

"Hello?"

"Mzuphike? Yeah, I forgot to tell you that I was staying late after school. The bus already left so can you fetch me?"

"Didn't you walk to school today?"

"It wasn't by choice. My friend forced me."

"Then force your friend to bring you back." And with that, her useless brother hung up the phone.

She growled, dialing her mother. Before she pressed the call button, Jimin snatched the phone out of her hands. "I'll take you home."

"You don't have a car."

"I do. I got someone to bring it. Come on." Like a rag doll, she was dragged out to the parking lot. It was drizzling and the clouds were so dark, they were threatening to pour in the next moment. A crack of thunder sounded and Yani jumped, hanging onto Jimin before they even got to the car.

He didn't seem to mind, instead just held the door to the passenger seat open for her, which she entered without a second thought. Jimin lightly chuckled, starting the car as soon as he got in. "I'm scared."

"Of?"

You. She wanted to say. "The thunder. It's too noisy. I get antsy."

"I can calm you down," He glanced at her, taking a turn she didn't recognize. "If you allow me to."

"I think this is the first time you're giving me a choice in something. And this isn't the way to my house."

"Don't get used to it, jagiya."

Jimin made a stop at a nearby waffle house where he bought a quick snack for the both of them, since he knew she was hungry. It was a subtle gesture but it would get his point across. He cared for her wellbeing. And in turn, felt the need to control it. The aroma of the food engulfed her, sending her grumbling stomach into overdrive.

They got crêpes filled with strawberries, chocolate and whipped cream, to which Yani complained. "You're gonna make me fat, Jimin."

"I like my girls thick, stop whining." He wrapped a hand around her waist as he led her back to the car. "As much as I like you, you're gonna need to finish that outside my beautiful car."

She looked at him with a stank eye. He couldn't be serious. It was thundering—not lightning but still scary to her. "Jimin, I will cry if we don't get into the car right now."

"Go into the building then."

She clicked her tongue and her back teeth together— a distinct South African sign of disrespect— and stormed back into the waffle house. "I'll get my own ride."

Jimin couldn't help but stare as her backside as she angrily stomped to the building, however, he didn't exactly take well to her attitude. He caught up to her quickly, blocking her before she entered the sliding doors. "Go back to the car."

She maneuvered around him irritatedly and found herself a table near some few teenagers. "Hi, sorry," they turned to stare at her. "Would any of you mind driving me home?"

They all looked at each other before the blonde boy spoke. "I don't mind. We can go in a minute."

"No, you won't." Jimin said from behind her and pulled her back against him.

"Let me go."

"No." Jimin growled back to Yani, having a staring match with her and not believing the audacity. "Come back."

She ripped herself away from him just as the other guy came between her and Jimin. "Don't treat her like that."

Jimin immediately clenched his jaw at the boy who interfered. "Move out of the way."

"No. She doesn't want to go with you so let her be."

"You don't get to make decisions for her."

"Neither do you."

The boys were extremely close, the testosterone in the room getting thick. "Yani..."

"What?"

"Get in the car."

She knew she couldn't win with Jimin. With her head bent down in embarrassment, she dragged her feet out to the parking lot, but not before the heroic boy asked her if she was safe around him. As forceful as Jimin was, Yani could see that he wouldn't actually hurt her. She didn't know how, but his attitude towards her wouldn't allow nonconsensual pain to come her way.

"If you ever need help, ask about me. My name is Ten."

She smiled and walked back the car with Jimin, the air thick in the car. "I'm sorry."

Yani looked to him with disappointed eyes. "I swear, if you ever try that again, I will not hesitate to slap you, Jimin."

"Yeah, Yeah. Goodbye, I'll fetch you tomorrow."

Jimin sighed as he rested his head against the headrest. What had he come to?