" What the hell you knocking like you 5-0 for?" He reprimanded me.

I pushed past him not in the mood for his drunk ass antics.

The living room was filled with men and women dispersed on the couch, smoking blunts and drinking liquor.

I made my way past them following the path to my brother's room.

I passed the kitchen where Melissa sat with more people drinking and playing a card game. We made eye contact, before I broke it making my way to my brother's room.

" Nokiaaa...make sure you bring ya ass in here before you leave. I need to talk to you."  Melissa yelled over the music.

   I opened my brother's door seeing him sitting on his bed. He had his headphones in and looked to be doing homework as many books lay on his bed.

    He furrowed his bushy eyebrows as he looked on at a paper, tapping the pencil against his chin.

    "Andrew...wasssup bro", I sat next him on the bed, pulling him in for a hug. He looked at me smiling and pulled his headphones out, turning in my direction.

   "Ayyy...waddup Nokie, I ain't think you was coming today." He said, smirking at me.

   "Yooo of course, if I say something ,I do it. You know me , b."

    " Yeah I feel you." He nodded his head.

   "How you been holding up little bro ? I can't wait till you out this broad's house."

   " I've been good other than putting up with Melissa shit. The money you gave her she used on whatever ,and all my shit keeps coming up missing."

" I just don't know man." He stressed, as he ran his hand through his thick ,curly hair.

" Bruh, I'm sorry you gotta go through that shit. You don't know how bad I wish I could take you out."

"Yeah but you can't." He counteracted.

"Look ,you gonna be eighteen in a couple months, so just try to bare it. I gotchu after that. I promise, bro."

"You gotta keep a tunnel vision." I added.

"Lil Kodak they don't like to see you winnin, they want to see you in a penitentiary. Ayyy dats my shit!" Andrew gets all hype.

"Yooo you so slow. But look, I got some for you." I reach into my book bag and pulled out three crisp hundred dollar bills.

   "This is for you. Use it wisely, and make sure her ass doesn't find out about it." I said, nodding towards the door.

"Yooo thanx Nokie, you the best." He dapped me up and pulled me in for a bro hug.

   "Well I gotta get going bruh, nice seeing you." I stood up walking towards the door.

" Peace my nigga, and thanks for looking out for me." Andrew says nodding at me.

  I made my way into the hall, and then into the kitchen where Melissa was, to see what she wanted.

  " Wassup", I said barely looking at her, as I stuffed my hands in my pockets.

"I need some money, Nokia. They ain't paying me enough and I can barely take care of Andrew." She fussed.

My blood boiled because I know everything that was coming out her mouth was a lie. She got paid more than enough and even went as far as getting money out of me and Andrew.

   " Yooo I don't have no money like that, bruh. I just gave you some a week ago. What happened to it?"

  " Look I'm grown, so don't worry about where my money going, godammit." Her friends egged her on, making her be extra.

    "Fuck you mean? I am gon worry about it when it's my money being wasted."

   "Look Nokia, I'm not going to argue with you. If you want to keep seeing your brother, imma need money."

I inhaled sharply and balled my fist , going into my pocket and slamming a fifty down on the table.

     " Are you happy now?", I asked sarcastically.

          "Very," she replied back, just as bitter.

     I walked out the kitchen and through the house till I made my way out the apartment. I treaded down the stairs and pushed open the door, walking past the same group of guys playing dice earlier.

   I stopped, and turned to them. I catcalled them, getting their attention.

   "Ayoo ya mom's a hoe." I winked at them, and then rode off on my skateboard.

*                             *                         *                             *

Growing up, me and my brother were passed around foster home to foster home. The majority of them were abusive, mentally unstable, and manipulative.

They didn't meet our basic needs, and blew their checks on Lord knows what.

Sometimes I would have to steal food just so me and Andrew could eat. We were always picked on for our dingy clothes in school, or laughed at about how thin we were.

If only they knew it was because we barely had the opportunity to eat ....

Come high school I start hanging out with this guy who introduced me to slanging drugs. He always had the flyest clothes, and drove the nicest cars I couldn't help but admire.

So one day I asked him to put me on, he thought I was joking at first, but I convinced him I was serious.
Once he realized that I was serious he refused saying I had potential and didn't need to get involved with shit like that.

I told him my situation, changing his mind. He decided to put me on but made me make a promise to keep my head in the books.

I started selling, and instantly became a pro. I afforded me and my brother food, clothes,and anything else we needed. No more depending on a shitty foster parent.

  I promised myself that once I got into Juilliard I would stop selling, and just get a steady job.

I found out though, that the scholarship I had received only paid for one semester.  And Working part time damn sure wasn't gonna afford the tuition
So I continued to sell drugs. And that's where I'm at with everything now.

Trying to make it in life , and provide for my brother.

Shit is just always complicated.

Hey y'all. What's up? How are you doing ?

Sorry it's been so long. I hate this chapter btw but I did the best I could. Hope you enjoyed.

-Arieaja 💗