08: Too Much To Handle

All of the boys sat in the living room, surrounding the television as the program started. It opened to dozens of girls in thin fabric dresses posing in place as the music started. It was rather quiet as the girls began to twirl and spin on the very tips of their toes.

“I think I see MinHee.” Bambam declared, skittering across the floor and pointing at the screen where he thought he saw JB’s sister. “Look! It’s definitely her.” He declared, turning to the others, who shrugged and continued to watch.

Yugyeom sunk lower into the couch with a small sigh. “Did you order the flowers for MinHee?”

JB scowled. “Yes.” He said sharply. He’d ordered the largest bouquet he could find. He’d sent dozens of bouquets and had Cora stand by to place them in MinHee’s dressing room so she would be surrounded by them when she got off stage. He doubted all the bouquets would be his, but he demanded his be noticed if his presence wasn’t allowed. “Did the manager mention when the next interview is?”

“He mentioned having the phone taken off the hook.” Jr. offered, leaning back against the couch. “It’s been ringing like crazy since the fountain incident.”

Jackson scoffed. “A regrettable night. But hey, it was fun.”

“Fun?” Youngjae asked, shaking his head. “Cora nearly broke her ankle because of that little dance battle.”

Mark spun around from where he sat on the floor, since there was no room on the couches. “She twisted her ankle because she threw her flip to hard, like I told you she did in that video. I said she would hurt herself, and look what happened.”

“You cursed her?” Jackson asked, grinning at his roommate. “Because that’s what I’m hearing.”

Mark rolled his eyes and threw one of the throw pillows at him. “I’m going to make something to eat. Anyone want anything?” He asked, standing from where he sat and moving into the kitchen before anyone could answer.

JB shook his head and continued to watch his sister’s dance. The camera zoomed and MinHee led the group in a series of spins and leaps, a constant smile on her face. He’d known her long enough to know her smile was strained. He knew her well enough to know that she was faking her happiness. This publicity was getting to her. People were showing up to her recital because of her association with the band, not because of her talent, which he knew was hurting her. She’d worked so hard and in only a few short days, JB had blow her talent out of the water.

“You see,” Jackson said as the crowd was in sight again. Mark had just strolled back into the room holding a bowl of steaming food, too far away for it to recognizable. “I knew we should have followed through with the plan. It was bullet proof, that plan was perfect genius and you all shut it down.”

Mark’s hand swiped across the back of his friend’s head, knocking his hat and head forward. “That might have pulled publicity towards us, but they would still be interested in MinHee. We’d only succeed in making ourself out to be fools, and give us a different possibility as a band, one that I doubt we want.” He lifted his food to his mouth and, bravely, took a bite without blowing on the steaming food.