07: Worry

MinHee’s eyes opened to a dark, still room. She lay on her stomach with one hand clenched shut and held against her chest, the other was beneath her pillow. She stayed like this for a moment, enveloped in warmth and content. She sighed and rolled onto her side, reaching for her alarm clock, which read 4:50. She didn’t have to be up for another two hours, and she didn’t have to be at rehearsal for another three. She wouldn’t be able to fall asleep again. With another sigh, she turned off her alarm and got up from her bed.

When she opened her bedroom door, Ginger shot in and swirled around her feet. MinHee leaned down and patted the cat, and noticed the Cora’s bedroom light was on from beneath the crack of the door. She stepped around the cat and made her way to the door. She knocked quietly and didn’t wait for a response before opening the door.

Cora sat cross legged on her bed, her sandy blonde hair a mane of curls and knots shooting around her, with her laptop on her lap and purple bruises beneath her eyes. “You haven’t slept?” MinHee signed, and Cora shook her head. “Why?”

“Ronald McDonald gave me that Advil PM.” For whatever reason, the sleeping agent in the medicine kept Cora awake for elongated periods. She would end up crashing during rehearsal if she wasn’t careful. “I’ve been up researching us though. Want to know what I found out?” MinHee nodded, and Cora cleared her throat, reading in a very manly voice. “Two teen dancers have stolen the hearts of the seven idols from rising boyband ‘GOT7’.” Cora laughed. “We’re almost twenty and we’re still teens? I thought I kicked that at eighteen.”

MinHee walked into the room and sat on the corner of Cora’s bed. “Seven to two. Odd ratio.”

“Wait until you hear who we’ve been paired with.” Cora signed before switching back to reading. “The young Korean dancer, MinHee, who leads the Passion dance crew, has taken the hearts of both Bambam and Jr. under her control, and is taunting us with the romance.” MinHee made a face. “Bambam, of all people.” Cora shook her head and continued. “And her backup dancer,” She pretended to be hurt, putting a hand to her chest and pouting. “The American Cora, is rumored to be playing games with the band’s very youngest member, Yugyeom, and vocalist YoungJae.”

MinHee silently laughed, shaking her head. “I spotted one with my brother and I as a couple. It wasn’t too popular, thank goodness.”

Cora made a face. “That’s really gross. They’ve really done their research haven’t they? American? Please.” She closed the laptop and tossed it onto the armchair beside her dresser. “But hey, I can’t complain. I am not related to either of the boys I’ve been shipped with. And they’re both attractive. You should see the babies we’d have.” MinHee shot her a look of confusion. “Someone took the pictures of us and morphed them with pictures of the boys. All my kids are hot. Sorry I can’t say the same about yours.”

MinHee reached out and punched Cora’s shoulder, and Cora laughed, telling her that she was joking. “I’m going to run and check the mail, before a crowd can form outside.”

“Good idea. I’ll start some breakfast.” Cora said, sliding off the bed. She made a move to stand, but her ankle gave out from under her and she slammed down on her knees. “Jesus, I am just looking for another injury.”