Perci_Snickedy Presents: My Secret to Staying Motivated and Finishing a Book

When I asked what I should write about for this lovely party, and the vast majority voted for advice on how to finish writing a book. It surprised me a little, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. How many books on Wattpad go unfinished? Far too many, to the point that most of us are wary of getting invested in an ongoing story. And all the time, I see less experienced writers asking about how to stay motivated and why it's so hard to finish writing a first draft.

There's no easy answer, as sometimes it just takes hard work to complete the first draft, especially when a writer has never completed one.

Let's face it: writing is hard.

It might be the hardest art there is.

In fact, I've dabbled in many different arts, and writing has been the most challenging. I think that's why so many stories go unfinished---the writer didn't realize how difficult it is to craft a novel. They might have had an amazing idea or cast, but not enough drive and passion to get the words down.

But, despite the amount of work it takes, I've also found writing books the most fulfilling art I've tried and the one I keep coming back to. There's no feeling quite like finishing that book or series and giving my characters the closure they deserve. I love that moment when I get to check it complete on Wattpad and give my loyal readers, who've stuck with my stupid errors and developing style, the ending they also deserve.

So, what's my secret to staying motivated after I've been writing the same story for months and am only two-thirds through the draft, despite that shiny new idea calling to me? We'll get to that in a minute. First, we need to address why a writer---maybe even you---might be struggling to stay motivated. I speak from experience when I say that learning why you struggle can make all the difference. The most likely culprits:

No time: This is probably the most common, and the one we've all related to at some point. Minus the few who are fortunate enough to make their living writing books, we have to go to work and/or school. Family and friends and, if you're like me, religious activities come before anything. There are some like me who battle chronic illness. I really don't have the time or energy to write every, single day, and there are times my stories go on the backburner.

But it's good to occasionally sit down and evaluate things. How often could you forgo an hour of T.V. to write down a chapter, or how often could you type out a few paragraphs while waiting at the doctor's or while traveling? Be honest with yourself: do you truly not have the time to write your story, or are you just not making the time to do it?

Too many projects: It's a rare person who can focus on more than one story at a time---it's not impossible, just rare. When a writer thinks they can't focus on only one story, yet finds themselves incapable of seeing their work through, that means they need to stick with one despite it being hard. If someone wants to write well, they need to accept that it requires discipline and self-restraint (if you want to work on that, try doing NaNoWriMo).

For the vast majority of writers, flitting from draft to draft will kill motivation for all of them.

You may get an idea for a new story while writing another. Write the new idea down for later and force yourself to stick with the one you're currently writing. I've done that many times. Often, the need to force myself doesn't last long at all. In fact, I rarely ever go back and write those passing ideas.

Using the wrong method: Do you plan everything out? Try pantsing. Do you just write without any forethought? Try making an outline. Most fall somewhere in-between and are plantsers.

I tried planning my book, G.A.L.E. Force because I thought that's how "real writers" were supposed to write and I'd been doing it wrong. I laugh at myself now because I almost gave up on that story. Instead, I threw my outline out the window and went with the flow. The whole series and then some later, I don't regret that decision at all. I'm a pantser and, because I've accepted that, I finish my stuff.