Chapter 1

She knew that her habit was bad, that the 'you up?' texts that she received at all hours of the night should have been ignored, but she can't help it. Just the thought of his strong body and his mesmerizing dark blue eyes made her heart beat so fast that she was worried it would pop out of her chest. He was a player, normally screwing and forgetting, but he keeps calling her back, desperate to see her small but amazing body as often as he could. No matter how many times her friends told her that she was going to get attached and he would break her heart, she did not listen.

Tris wakes up, sunlight streaming into her otherwise dark room. She fumbles for her phone on her desk, too tired to turn and look for it. She had an interesting night and had gotten home from Uriah and Zeke's house very late. The entire time she was there she felt his stare but refused to look back. Tris knew that if she did, she would not be able to control anything that she did after the fact.

Tris sighs into her pillow, forcing herself to get out of bed. She drags her tired body down the stairs and is met by her brother clicking away at his phone while picking at a muffin.

"Morning," she yawns as she shuffles past Caleb. He acknowledges her by nodding slightly in her direction. He was too engrossed in his phone to actually hear what she said.

Just as Tris reaches the kitchen, the front door flies open and Christina, her best friend, struts in. Christina was tall and beautiful, her dark skin and brown hair perfect as always.

"Beatrice Prior, I swear to god if you spent the night with him again I will shove my-" Christina, but is interrupted by Tris smacking her hand over her mouth.

"Shut up! Caleb does not need to know about this," Tris exclaims. She looks over at her brother who was looking at her questionably, but he shrugs and looks back at his phone, " I came home right after the party, so stop jumping to conclusions!"

"You know for a fact that I have a hard time believing you these days," Christina says, crossing her arms and giving Tris a disappointed look.

Four was bad for her. He didn't care about her, at least she thought so. He wanted her for her body, he wanted her because she was willing to do what he wanted from a girl. Tris was a completely different person when they were alone, and no one except for him new that.

At seventeen years old, maybe Tris shouldn't be sleeping around with this guy. She just kept going back despite the fact that she knew he only wanted her because he was either drunk and alone or bored.

"Whatever," Tris shrugs as she bites into a peach, "No matter how many times I tell myself he is toxic, I can't stop myself when I get one of his late night calls."

Tris knew Four for as long as she could remember. They had lived in Chicago all their lives.

"You know, Tris, you can put your phone on do not disturb," Christina sighs.

Tris and Four were so much alike, but entirely different at the same time. Both athletic and popular, and some of their friends were the same. But Tris was kind, selfless, and tried to constantly do good. She was a smart girl with a bright future. On the other hand, Four was cocky. He slept around, constantly got himself into trouble, and was messy overall. Deep down most of his friends knew he was compassionate and caring, but most people only saw him as the school's jock.

"I have to shower and get ready still," Tris says to Christina, trying to change the subject, " Come on."

The girls head upstairs to Tris's room, passing her mother Natalie on the way, who gives them a bright smile and a quick good morning.