Chapter 55 Hunter

Without a word C.J. and Grayson had me by the arm and racing us down through the dark cavern with just a flashlight and C.J.'s knowledge of the cave. Scared wasn't even close to what I was. Petrified was more like it.

We finally stopped. I was more out of breath from fear than the run. Half the time my feet didn't even touch the ground due to the guys lifting me up by the arms. Definitely would have some good bruises tomorrow. We were in a round room like, if you could call it that. There was the entrance we just came from and another 5 feet above us to the left. I did not like it in here at all. It was too closed in with no fresh air. I wasn't claustrophobic but I might be soon if I had to stay here for too long.

"Shift!" C.J. barked. Had me jumping out of my skin and Grayson growled. I have never heard that tone come out of him before. "Hurry, Grayson, we don't have much time." This time his voice was softer. He was scared like the rest of us.

"You keep her safe," Grayson orders him then turned to me. "Stay safe. I love you." He, too, kisses me just like Jarek did. Fast, desperate and ended way too quick. Before I could respond he had his shirt off and running back the way we came in.

A couple of very long minutes later Grayson was back in his wolf form. I would have loved to admire him more since this was the first time I saw him this way when I was on 2 feet but my nerves were getting the best of me. My hands were shaking and I couldn't stand still. C.J. was bouncing on the balls of his feet staring down the dark corridor. Grayson paced in front of me. Every time he walked by my hand automatically brushed against him. It helped a bit but not much.

I thought I heard something and I wasn't the only one because we all stopped moving. Grayson's ears went back, jumping in front of me staring down the way we came in. The fight had made its way to the cavern. I couldn't make out much but Grayson could since our hearing was better in wolf form, he whimpered. A piercing howl echoed through the cave. Grayson and C.J. froze.

They looked at each other and C.J. yelled, "GO! I got her." Grayson looked at me and hesitated for a second then took off. "Hurry!" C.J. grabbed me by the waist and throw me up towards the other entrance. He was beside me before I could even stand from where I landed on my hands and knees. I knew it would hurt like a bitch later but right now I was in shock. Someone made it past Nikko and Jarek. Were they hurt? Or worse? I didn't have time to think about much more because C.J. had my hand and was running full out. I couldn't see a thing but I trusted him to get me back to the others in one piece. I would be fine. We all would be. I just had to think positive thoughts.

NO! Run. Traitor! Lupa screamed in my head. It had me stumble and fall to me knees. C.J. was not gentle at all. He yanked me back up and kept running. Traitor! Not Pack. Lupa kept repeating over and over again. I couldn't concentrate on where I was going.

He stopped so suddenly I plowed into his back. When he turned to look at me I could just make out his face with the flashlight shining against the walls. He looked sad, regretful, but determined. I didn't understand at all. Something hit me hard on the head. I blinked once then everything went black. I swear I heard C.J. say, "I'm so sorry but it has to be this way."