Chapter 2 Hunter

The final stretch of freedom. Out in the middle of nowhere on a well hidden road surrounded by nothing but trees. Camp Wulfric. A couple of years ago, when I actually paid attention, I realized that the camp was never at the same place twice. Everything always looked the same: the cabins, the docks, the first aid center, the Mess Hall and even the scenery was very similar but the location was always different. I have asked the counsellors every year and got the same answer, "We like to change things up," I don't know about you but that makes no sense whatsoever. Like really, as I said, everything looks the same. So once again, why did the camp always move? Maybe this year will be the year that mystery was solved. Why did I care? I didn't. I am just a nosy teen and wanted answers that no one would give. Big surprise there.

In movies you see those huge signs that buses would drive under, "Welcome to Camp Sucks", but here it was just a 3 by 3 foot piece of old wood with the letters burned into it and if you weren't looking for it you would easily miss it. As I said before I liked camp most of the time but there were some things that were kind of creepy. For example, when we finally hit the dirt road surrounded by nothing but trees I knew from the past that at any second now someone would come out of nowhere and check the car. It was the first "Check In" as they called it and after that there would be one more at least but usually two. Like for real, it's summer camp not boot camp!

The six hour ride was a lot quieter than I expected with Grace. She loved to talk, loved to make sure everything and everybody was alright; just an overall amazing and bubbly person. This trip had been the quietest I had ever seen her. When I asked them both if everything was alright they said yes, and needed to paying attention to the road and map because they had never been here. I let it go, if they didn't want to tell me what was wrong then who was I to say different? It's not like I'm their family and that they truly cared what I thought overall. We lived together for ten months and now minutes away from camp where they would drop me off. The end. They will be out of my life once and for all, never looking back, just a small piece of their memory if anything at all. OK, I know I'm being harsh. Grace and John were great and it sucked that I would never see them again, but I promised myself years ago to never get attached to the Rent-a-rents. One day they're here, and the next they're not. It was as simple as that.

We drove along the rough dirt road and I waited for the first "check-in" point. I looked along the edges of the makeshift road for a guy to step out from behind one of the trees. That was what had always happened. I was not expecting something to fell/jump out of a tree twenty feet in front of the car. I was ashamed to admit I let out a squeal of shock. Nerves of steel? I don't have. I am more like a jump-out-of-my-skin kind of girl when startled.

Sitting in the back, I lean forward as much as the seat belt would allow. There in the middle of the dirt road was a man crouched down on the balls of his feet and hands wearing all black. His head was bent down. The only thing I could see was his dark eyes peeking through his shoulder length black hair that fell around his face.

John hit the brakes, not as hard as I would have thought he needed to when some idiot jumped out in front of a moving car. If I didn't know better I would have thought he expected some moron to appear so suddenly. Seriously who the hell jumps in front of a moving car? Both him and Grace stiffened at the sight of the guy. He was not one of the camp counsellors that I have ever seen before and he did not have on the traditional Camp uniform on. Plus add the fact that this stranger just looked kind of scary. "What the f..."

"Hunter!" Grace snaped.

I don't usually swear and did not get upset that Grace snapped at me. But man this guy set my creep-o-meter in the red. Who just jumps out of a tree like that when a car is coming?! Who is plain old stupid enough to jump out of a 20 foot tree at any time? To top it off he slowly stood, as if someone was pulling his strings before gracefully moved to John's side of the car. My stomach was in a big ball of knotts. My fight or flight instinct was in high gear. Flight was winning over big time. Now only if my body would agree with my gutt and I could have torn my eyes away from this man. Getting past past the total badass and scary impression this guy gave off, he was hot. Like I mean drool worthy hot! Way over six-feet, muscled tanned arms interrupted by his tight black T-shirt showing every line of definition of his chest. His shoulder length black hair shined like silk as the sun hit it and his eyes...his eyes were the colour of storm clouds. Not blue but grey. He was what a teenage girl dreamt of. If you like that bad and dangerous type. Me? Not so much. I liked the outgoing type. Did I really have a type? No but even with this guys looks I knew I definitely did not go all jelly knees for him. Well maybe in fear but not the sweep me off my feet kinda way. Plus I like them under 20 years old thank you very much. More like 18 years old but I am not that picky.