Chapter 4 Grayson

This was supposed to my year, our year, our summer, but things were not going the way I had planned. Mr. Thomas decided to bring in the other guy, like I can't protect her myself. It's what I have been training for the past six years. Never mind the intense training and changes that had happened the past year.

This was the year I can be completely honest with her. This year things would change. This year where I can finally tell her how I feel. The beginning of our future. Now to do all that and not have her pissed with me for knowing all this time what she was and why her life has been the way it was, the way it had to be. It was going to be an interesting summer and one I hoped she understood and forgives me for. Who am I fouling...she was going to kick my ass.

After leaving Mr. Thomas office in a hurry because Hunter was already knocking on the door; we all got side tracked auguring with each other and didn't hear her approach. It was more me doing the arguing. Then walking away from him, after he wanted to talk more, knowing I was seconds away from losing my cool and doing something that I might not regret but would cause bigger problems. So I left.

As I walked around the woods cooling off I heard Alice, Trisha, and Emilie giggling. In no mood for a recap of what happened earlier, I kept on moving further into the woods.

"I don't know what he sees in her. She is average looking at best and still has that boy body, it's like puberty passed her by." Having an idea who they were talking about I stood still to listen what else was going to be said.

Another voice, Trisha I think, said, "They have been friends for as long as I've been here. Alice, just let it go." Yep, this conversation was very similar to the one I had earlier with Alice.

"No. I will not let it go! It's bad enough she has the hottest guy to herself and wouldn't know what to do with him anyways, and now Mr. Thomas has been whispering about her to the new counsellors. And have you seen Jarek? He is the one that I've seen with Mr. Thomas..."

I had to put a stop to this right now. The conversation was getting dangerously close to what was going on and no one was supposed to know but the counsellors, me, and him. Before I could speak up, Jarek's voice echoed through the woods, "Girls? Dinner is in an hour."

The next voice I heard said, "She doesn't look like a boy anymore."

Was Hunter there on the path? It had been 2 years since I've seen her. My heart missed a beat, palms sweaty, and I couldn't move. Did she look different? Was she still the same sweet, strong, vibrant, Hunter I fell in love with?

When she spoke it was like a jolt to my system. "Yeah. It has been generous to you as well," I don't know what was said before that. The thought of her so close had me tune out everyone and everything else. Whatever, her comment meant put Alice in a mood. Yep, she was still my Hunter, my little spit fire, which was a load off my mind. Even not seeing her in 2 years, I could still just barely make out the catch in her voice, Alice and the girls had embarrassed, hurt her, and that I would never forgive them for.

Hunter portrayed a strong exterior and pretended nothing bothered her but that was not her true self. After 8 summers of hanging out together, I was one of the lucky ones to know the real Hunter, the one who knew just how often she hurt and how much she hid. The first couple of days at camp were always her hardest. Her foster parents that year would drop her off and no matter how hard she tried not to get close to them she always did. Between just having that big of a heart and so desperately wanted to be a part of a real family, those people she got to know where the ones she missed the most. The ones she tried to forget and not care about. So I took it upon myself to make those days easier. Not like it was a hardship, spending time with Hunter, it was the best. She was the best.

Alice seemed to stomp off and of course her little gang followed on her heels. Catching a glimpse of Hunter's ponytail moving towards the lake, I keep hidden in the woods and followed. I Ever step I made built up my frustration when all I could catch was the smallest glimpse of her hair or worse nothing at all. Anticipation grew at every step. At the tree line Hunter walked away and what looked like towards the boulders and avoided the others on the dock. From the back she had grown a bit but not much, she was still short. Not that I had a problem with her height or anything really. Her skin pale from lack of sun, not that she ever did get much colour no matter how much time she spent in the sun, her legs where more toned and smooth. She must be running more. Still trying to escape her thoughts. Overall she really hadn't changed much at all, a little taller and a bit curvier than 2 years ago but nothing drastic.

The whole time she was walking away and climbing up on the rocks she didn't turn around once. Anticipation at its limits I was about to take a step out of the security of the trees when Jarek jogged out from the path and headed straight for Hunter the second he saw her.

Seeing Jarek close enough to touch Hunter made my skin crawl and hackles go up. Watching intensely, Jarek only stayed for a minute and left at a slow jog back the way he came. "She wants to be alone," It shouldn't have surprised me that Jarek knew I was there but it did. He managed to sneak up behind me as I stayed in my spot just watching her sit on the rocks hugging her knees to her chest. The man had a nose and senses I have never seen on anyone else.

As if he knew what was best for Hunter. He knew her a total of an hour maybe? Waiting till I could no longer hear Jarek, I stepped out onto the sand making my way to the girl I've been waiting to see again since the end of summer 2 years ago. The world itself faded leaving the girl, my girl, sitting with her knees pulled up under her chin; looking sad and lonely. Now 10 feet away, heart pounding through my chest, I realized I don't have a clue what to say. "Hi," just seemed lame.