Chapter 39 Adam

"Now, someone please tell me what the hell really happened?" I demanded, waiting
for Amanda to tell us how Hunter was really doing. We know she was breathing but she
still hasn't opened her eyes. I looked around to see the boys standing around the room staring down the hall as if they could see through walls.

"It's all my fault," John mumbled, sitting on the couch head resting in his hands. "I should have known. She was acting off but when she asked to go swimming I thought it was a good idea for her to do something. Something normal" He barked out an angry laugh. "I wanted to see that she was alright."

"Not just you. I did know something was wrong. I have known for days. At the lake...when she waved right before...I knew." Grayson shook his head in denial. "She's stronger than this. I...should have done something but she just started talking to me today and...I'm so sorry Mr. T. I failed you. I failed her...more than once." The wooden chair his hands were leaning gave a moaning crack under the pressure. His knuckles were white as he squeezed tighter.

"We all seen it and ignored it. No one is to blame," I confirmed. Both Jarek and
Grayson made a snorting sound in disbelief. "What I really want to know is what happened? What really happened?"

Jarek cleared his throat. His eyes still looked haunted but was pulling himself together. "I was sitting on the dock, C.J. was on the bank, and Grayson was in the water. We all could see her. For an hour she swam and dove under the water. A few times we were all ready to jump in after her when she didn't come back up. But every time she went under she seemed to stay under the water a little longer than the time before..." Jarek shook his head. "Now, I can see what she was doing. She had it planned this whole time. Well at least since she asked to go swimming. Anyways Grayson was right. When she waved and smiled at me minutes before she...She looked so at peace." He stopped and took a deep breath before continuing. "Then she was gone. I wasn't worried at first because she has gone under the water so many other times. When she didn't come back up...I think we all figured it out at the same time. I heard C.J. call out her name and I was already standing on the dock. Grayson was looking around. I noticed a couple bubbles hit the surface and I screamed at Grayson and pointed before I dove in. It took both of us to get that boulder off her foot. It looked like she dug a hole then somehow pulled the boulder over. She trapped her own foot!" Jarek was pacing by the time he was done.

"Are you telling us that you believe she..." Nikko started to ask his son.

"Yes. Hunter tried killing herself," Jarek answered.

"She's awake," Amanda announced, concern and shook written all over her face.

I wasn't even sure who got there first but we were all crammed in the small room. Hunter was sitting up and looking furious. That brought back all my anger and I was on the verge of screaming but she jumped out of bed, breathing heavy. "I told you! I told you both!" She yelled at Grayson and Jarek. "You didn't listen to me and see what happens? She almost killed us!" She screeched the last.

Grayson moaned and Jarek stepped forward, his hands up in the international sign saying I am not a threat. "Lupa? We need Hunter back. She needs help." He pleaded as Hunter, no Lupa shook her head back and forth.

"No. No. No. She's broken. She doesn't want to live. She doesn't want to die at another's hand. She doesn't want anyone she cares about to die. She is confused. We don't think the same. We have different Alpha's. She has too many feelings." Lupa had stop yelling. Sat back in the bed she stared at Jarek. "You were supposed to keep her safe. We are pack. I don't think I can do this by myself. She is too strong. Her grief is too strong. She loves too strong. She loved too many people but they always leave her. She really cares about you and that scares her a lot." Lupa turned to Grayson. "She loves you. In love with you but you hurt her so know she is hurt and scared."

"Lupa?" Nikko called her attention.

Hunter/Lupa falls to the ground on all fours and crawled over to Nikko. Head down, belly almost touching the floor, a pure submissive position. "I'm sorry Alpha. I tried to keep her safe. I don't think I am strong enough yet. Please. Please forgive me." Lupa lowered herself more, her forehead resting against the wood floor.

"Oh Lupa," Nikko sighed, bending down putting his hand under her chin to lift her face so he could see her eyes. "You did nothing wrong. I know you tried and will do what you can to help her. We know better and we will do what we have to, to get her better." Her eyes now meeting his, Nikko took her hands and helped her to her feet. "But what I need you to do is let Hunter come back. I, we can't help her if you don't." She was shaking her head again.

"Lupa..." I could feel the command in Nikko's voice. "I need Hunter back now. Stay close if that makes you feel better."

The next thing Hunter's knees gave out and was about to hit the floor but Nikko caught her in time. He picked her up in his arms and placed her gently back into bed. Hunter was out cold again. After a few minutes waiting for her to wake but she did not so we left the room so Amanda could take care of her and to let us know when she woke again.

None of said a word. I didn't even know what to say. I had briefly seen Lupa come out but not to that extent. The room was too quiet. Someone had to break the silence. "Well that was interesting,"
Before anyone could comment there was a firm knock on the door. All of us
took a sniff but it was Nikko who answered. "Come in Vic, Sam. It's my second and third," Nikko explained.