Chapter 12 Hunter

A sliver of sunlight peeked through from the barely parted heavy curtains. Blinking a few times it took me a second to realize where I was and another minute to remember how I ended up in the nurse's room on the cot. Stretching, my body reminded me of the bumps, scrapes, and the stiff muscles I got while running through the woods. Rolling over and sitting up, letting my eyes adjust to the darkness of the room before I spotted my shoes and clean clothes on the chair.

Dressed, I left the room feeling better than I had in weeks. Whatever was in that tea sure knocked me out cold and I slept without dreaming. Making it to the bathroom without anyone seeing me or me them, I cleaned up before heading into the main office. I splashed some water on my face and found a new toothbrush to clean my teeth. I felt a little better but not good enough to risk looking into the mirror. Leaving the bathroom I heard muffled voices. Tip toeing across the floor I tried to make out what was being said. Yes, I know it was rude to listen to others conversations but the curiosity got to me once I swear I heard my name. Plus what teenager doesn't eavesdrop?

Three feet from the door and not even a squeaky board in the cabin to give me away the talking stopped abruptly. The handle of the door slowly began to turn. Not wanting to look as guilty as I was I took two steps back quickly and bent down to retie my shoe. As the door opened I looked up to see Mr. Thomas walk in and I gave him my usual happy smile to see him. Yep, not doing anything wrong here. Just tying my shoe.

"Hunter! How are you feeling honey?" He asked me, looking a little stressed around his eyes.

I was just about to answer when a very annoyed but relieved Grayson walked in, well more like pushed his way in after Mr. Thomas and following him was the very amazingly gorgeous Jarek with a blank face. "Are you Ok? Why did you run off like that? Here let me help you up," Grayson rambled on.

I just stood there and stared at him. This was not the Grayson I had known for years. My Grayson was cool and collective especially around others. This emotional Grayson was different and I wasn't sure how to take it or what to do or say. "Grayson? Grayson!" I had to take hold of his hands to get him to stop fussing over me. "I'm alright. Are you Ok?"

He stood there and stared at me for a moment then right in front of her eyes I seen the old Grayson slip back. His back straightened, shoulders back, head high and his everyday "screw you" look took over his face. But the concern still shone through from his eyes. Taking his hands back he swung an arm over my shoulders, not as a buddy would but more like a boyfriend did.

"Hey Hunter. How did you sleep?" Jarek asked, leaning against the wall with his bad boy intimidating look and pulling it off quite well.

"Umm, yeah. I'm fine. Actually feeling pretty good thanks. What time is it?" As if on cue on the time my stomach growled loud enough that everyone no doubt heard.

"Lunch. Go to the Mess Hall and eat. You missed breakfast," Mr. Thomas said not trying to keep his amusement out of his voice.

"I'll take her," Grayson said staring at Jarek the whole time keeping his arm around my shoulders. He started for the door pulling me right along with him and we were out before I had a chance to say anything else.

Grayson had always been protective of me but this was different, more somehow. I really need to find out what was with him. Yes, we kissed and it was absolutely amazing and I wanted to do it again. I think. But if he kept up the caveman crap we were going to have problems and fast.

Outside maybe 10 feet away from the head office I stopped to get his attention. "Hey, what is up with you? Listen, Grayson, I know you have always been there for me but this is a little ridiculous. I can and always spoken for myself."