Chapter 24 Nikko

Finally, I was getting somewhere with this stubborn girl. She was definitely a feisty little thing and I really couldn't blame her for fighting back. From the quick rundown I have received, she has been through a lot. I just wished we had found out about her earlier. There was always rumours of a female born but like the others it was just that, a rumour, so I stopped getting my hopes up. For them to keep this secret this long and even with another pack knowing she did exist was beyond impressive. No reason to harp on something that could not be changed. We were here now and it wasn't too late. Even with the recent turn of events.

Grace's murder had my hackles up. It was too close to where we were. There was still so much Hunter had to be told but with everything going on I wasn't sure how much more this girl could handle. I also wasn't sure if her sneaking off yesterday was just because she wanted to protect the others and felt abandoned or if all of this was just too much for her. Jarek believed she was strong enough, and a part of me agreed. Hoped.

Watching her in her John's arms, I could see her thinking again and that too worried me. Still believing she was the reason for three deaths and she worried about the others she loved more than herself. A great quality especially in someone so young but it had its dangers as well for the same reasons. She did not have the training or power yet to defend herself and her actions could get more people hurt then she understood. On top of all that I wasn't sure she wouldn't take off again. Not being her Alpha I had little say on what was to happen. My role was to help with her first transition and that was all. Being a born I have helped others in the past but with her being a female and giving the gift of sight there was no way I was just going to walk away. Borns had a connection to other borns: a stronger connection. She should mate with another born not a made, had to mate with a born.

It had been over a hundred years since a female born was born and the possibilities of Hunter mating with another born was too great to be ignored. I understood why this other pack wanted her with them, I want her but I had enough morals and respect for another pack not to steal what was theirs. Or did I? The idea of her and my son mating, having his children had my heart race with excitement. The power those children would hold would be great. I honestly never thought I would find anyone stronger and more powerful than my son but meeting Hunter, I think I just may have. Their children would be a force not to reckon with. Hunter and Jarek as a mated pair would be a force that would change history itself.

Giving my head a shake, dislodging my thoughts from my imagination I realized I have drifted off into my own little world. The sight of my sons eyes widened just enough for me to notice I spaced out for a little too long and either he thought I had a long overdue vision or somehow he caught where my mind was headed.

Right now I had to concentrate on keeping Hunter safe until her first full moon. After her transition and when things were stable I would gently pursue my dreams. Once this was done we would perform her ceremony and that would further her protection from unwanted packs. She would be safer after that. I hoped. Going over in my head the security detail that I thought was efficient until Grace that was and with Hunter's little get away with a cabin full of shifters in the next room. I had to rethink things. With the threat being closer than we could have ever imagined we had to change some things and step it up. Just about ready to ask Adam if the camp closing early would set off to many questions, my vision blurred.

It took me a moment to realize what happened. It had been years since I have had a vision. Automatically I turned to meet Hunter's eyes. My eyes were losing their focus quickly. All I could make out was the outline of her body sitting beside John. The hazy glow outline was fading fast and the flashes were even faster, so many of them. It took all my concentration to catch half of them. It had been so long and I was out of practice. I honestly believed I had lost the gift.

The buzzing in my ears grew as snapshot after snapshot speed by too fast, faster than they ever had before. The quick glimpses I could barely make out and the faces were strangers to me except for a couple. As fast as the visions started it all ended. The abruptness of it had my sight snap back in place and through my equilibrium off.

A familiar hand gripped my elbow and I heard the worry in his voice. "Dad? Dad, are you alright?"

I nodded. "A vision. A very fast and strong vision. Adam we need to talk," I walked away from my son, feeling normal again, and headed out the front door for some much needed fresh air. I needed to meditate and try to get a better handle on what I saw. What I did know was that whatever was about to happen was not good, many more would die and it would be happening soon. Very soon.