Chapter 32 Adam

It's amazing what a full belly can do. Everyone came back with brighter eyes, tension eased, and although the anxiety level was down considerable it was still there rightfully so. I cut the group down drastically since it was confirmed that Hunter was indeed the legendary Red Wolf. Our future Queen. Myself, John, a couple camp counsellors and Amanda who I trusted without a doubt, James and his mate Sarah who were Hunter's foster parents years back, Grayson and C.J. who had been training for years to become Hunter's protectors, and of course Nikko and Jarek the only 2 borns here besides Hunter.

There were a few more of my pack that knew and saw with their own eyes Hunter's wolf, but I asked them, commanded them, that this information goes no further than these four walls and sent them off on perimeter parole. That was one of the things that changed immediately, parole was done in pairs and I tripled the bodies working it.

"Legend has it that the red wolf would be queen to all wolf shifters. All would respect her for her fairness and power. Her ability to unite, to keep peace, to heal, and to control any situation with just her presence was a great gift to us all and held even greater possibilities to some." Nikko jumped right where he left off. He was even a more straight shooter than I was.

"The last red wolf, our queen, was 500 years ago. After the things she seen and lived through she decided that she would be the last and no other should have to endure what she had to. She was a true queen, not just by birthright, but for the sacrifice she gave for the rest of us.

"In those times the red wolf, although not common, there was always one born from the queen. When the queen grew older the younger red wolf would then take her place. Finding a mate was an ordeal. Only born wolves could approach the queen for her daughter's hand. There was the odd exception for a made. He would have to prove himself as a great warrior, provider, and protector. The thing is even though a made was not as strong as a born, or had the ability to talk through their thoughts, and had the lack of chance of having a 'gift', the biggest obstacle was that borns were meant to be together. They have this automatic connection, a pull, an attraction towards each other."

Given by Hunter's slight tension in her shoulder that wasn't there moments ago and how ramrod straight her back was she was fighting ever instinct to look at Jarek. She felt this connection and so did he. Now his reactions towards her made even more sense. Grayson's relaxed cool looks that he prided himself on was slipping. He too understood what this new connection, that none of us mades knew existed, might mean.

"Our last queen was different from the others. She was stronger. She feed off of love. Believed a queen could rule not only with an equal but with someone she loved. Not for the strength or gift's another may have had. Not for a puppet that would do as she said with no input of their own. I am not saying that the queen's mates were puppets by no means. They did everything they could to protect their queen and give her and their people stronger wolves and eventually a new little queen.

"Things were much different in that time than they are now. We lived as one. Working with each other in every aspect. There were no Packs but a true single force. With the Queen's presence kept emotions level and the need for dominant males in check. Don't get me wrong there was still fighting for mates and property but not to the death. They all knew what place in the pack they were. The odd dominance fight that took place was very much controlled and killing was a capital offence. One that you could be banished for.

"Queen Harmonia had her heart and sights on a made. They grew up together and fell in love with him when she was just a child. She liked the fact that they could not speak mind-to-mind. There was never that little slip when one born knew what the other was saying to themselves. Queen Harmonia knew everything about this young man and he felt the same about her. Just because she was the future queen did not make him back down if he had a point to make. He used all his power when they needed to race through the woods after being someone where they should not have been. She was as fast if not faster than he was and loved the fact that he was his own person and did not treat her like royalty. Mostly those times they snuck off to be with each other."