Chapter 38 Adam

Leaving Amanda to take the path with the camps glorified golf cart, that we barely used, Nikko, John, myself and a few other used are own speed and take to the woods. We would beat Amanda there but no matter what we always had to keep up our human appearance. C.J. frantic voice kept on replaying over and over again in my head. Hunter was in an accident. I wasn't even sure what condition she was in. I forgot the damn 2-way radio in the office. Nikko was ahead of us and no matter how much I pushed none of us mades were going to catch up. Which to be honest that was ok as long as someone got to her. As soon as we hit the tree line to the lake Nikko had slowed to a regular run and was feet away from the crowd of teenagers. It was then I could hear Grayson yelling at Hunter to breath.

"Oh God," John crocked and actually picked up his speed. As soon as those words left his mouth I heard a garbled cough then more coughing. It was Hunter. They brought her back.

Finally reaching the crowd, which seemed to take forever, I pushed my way through and told all of them to back up and give us room. I finally saw Hunter laying on her side still coughing and spitting up water. Grayson knelt behind her rubbing her back, tears running free down his face. Jarek was kneeling by her head moving her hair out of her face, too much white showing in his eyes. Fear and disbelief etched through his face. C.J. at her feet looking confused and eyes filled with tears.

"What the hell happened, Jarek?" Nikko beat me to the punch. I was happy he did because I was having problems keeping my anger in check.

"I...I...she was swimming and she went under the water and didn't come back up. She had been doing for awhile." Jarek stared at his dad, his face seemed to lose all his colour. "Her...her foot got caught under a rock." His voice turned into a growl. He didn't believe that any more than we did.

Coughing stopped, Grayson rolled Hunter towards him and picked her up. I could see the rise and fall of her chest but her lips were blue, the bags under her eyes looked black and you could make out some of the veins under her skin because she was so pale. When Grayson looked up I could see what this was doing to him. Though his tears had stopped I could see helplessness, defeat, fear, and anger in his eyes. He didn't have to say anything, I knew he blamed himself for everything.

Before I could say anything to try to comfort him while I checked Hunter's pulse Amanda finally pulled up in the golf cart. I knew I was not getting Hunter out of Grayson's arms anytime soon so I put my arm around his shoulders and lead him to Amanda where we could take her back to the cabins.