Chapter 8 Hunter

My favourite night of the year, the first official campfire. For a couple of hours I got to forget about my outside life and enjoy watching the others have fun, get reacquainted with some of my camp friends and wonder how long it would take for Grayson to sneak us off for our first exploration. We never went far on the first night, due to me and liking the excitable giggles of the girls and watching the boys watch the girls.

The orange flames crackled sending the allusion of hundreds of fireflies dancing ten feet above the flames. Counsellors helped the younger children with marshmallows and hotdogs so they don't burn and didn't wander too close to the open flames. Kids huddle in their premade groups from last year telling stories about their school year and crushes. The way everyone fell back into place was exhilarating, this place always gave comfort to everyone, not just me.

As I watched the light from the fire dance across the eager faces of the young and the thrill on the teenagers faces as they wonder if they, this summer would find their summer love, or anticipated what last year's summer fling would continue this year. It was never about the summer romances for me. It was just me and Grayson, my best friend. We explored without getting into too much trouble Ok it was me not wanting to get in trouble and Grayson pushed the limits on what we could do and not get caught. Now that I think about it, I wonder who, and if Grayson has had a summer romance? Not that there was ever a lot of time left over. We spent almost every waking hour together when we didn't have the scheduled camp stuff to do and even then we found our way to be partners.

"Hey my little spit fire," Grayson's voice came from behind as he wrapped his arms around my waist and gently pulled me against his body.

Ok, this was getting a little weird. Not that I minded, actually I really liked it. The feel of his body pressed against my back, his breath on the top of my head before he laid a quick kiss on top of it. That little kiss had my stomach fluttering with butterflies. The thing is we were always friends; climbing trees, exploring the woods, swimming, and that sort of thing. We never held hands and the only time we hugged, until this year, was when we were left camp for the year.

Sensing my confusion, Grayson stills and asked, "Is this Ok?" he squeezed his arms gently so I knew he was talking about his touch.

"It's just different," I said without thinking. I always felt comfortable enough to tell him how and what I was feeling. His grip loosened and started to pull away. Taking his hand, I laced my fingers with his giving a gentle squeeze. I had to let him know that I liked his touch even though it confused me a bit. That earned me a smile.

"I know this is your favourite night so let's go find a blanket or log and I will cook you up one of my famous hot dogs," he said pulling me closer to the fire.

* * *

We all sat around the fire laughing, singing, and listened to the ghost stories the counsellors told. Grayson made me two perfect hot dogs and I, of course, burned the marshmallows into unrecognizable black lumps that Grayson ate despite of it. An hour went by and the bonfire was in full swing, everyone having fun and Mr. Thomas finally made his way with yet more drinks and food.

It was perfect, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I sat beside my best friend that I hadn't seen in two years left me smiling from ear-to-ear. Or was Grayson becoming my boyfriend, summer fling maybe? I had to rethink think this. Our friendship meant too much and I was not going to ruin it for a stupid summer camp fling. Was I really sure I wanted this anyways? Was I ready for a boyfriend? How could I be ok with this when I never had any romantic notion towards Grayson to begin with? Yep, I need to get some of this cleared up and now. "Grayson?"

"Hey, Little Lupa," a low voice said from behind me. I froze, if this man was talking to me, which I doubted, because only two people have ever called me that. My foster dad...I think his name was James if I remember right and my other best friend. The one I hadn't seen in years and who had never been to this camp. But how many people would have the nickname Lupa? There was a masculine chuckle then the man said, "Yes, Hunter, I am calling you."