Chapter 53 Hunter

"Hunter? Are you ok?" It was Grayson. He knew me better than anyone. Right now, ever since the beach, he would not let me get away with saying "fine".

Turning to look into his eyes I needed to know the truth. The whole truth. No more secrets. No more betrayals. No more lies."What have you lied to me about over the years? I need to know everything Grayson. All of it. No more secrets. I can't handle anymore lies or secrets" He knew I was serious and would walk away with the slightest hint of something that wasn't the complete truth.

His sigh was the only hesitation I got. "Let's go sit by the water." He waited for me to move first then followed. It would have been a beautiful peaceful place if life didn't suck right now but it did so it was just a pretty thing to look at with no meaning.

Finding a log by the water I sat down. Keeping the others at my back, not wanting to see the stares or seeing the whispers.

"The only thing I have ever lied to you about was me going to Paris with my folks but I told you that already and I had no choice in that. I was ordered to tell you that till you knew the truth about us. Where do I start?" I think he asked himself more than me because he went on without my response. "Ok the first summer getting sent to camp was not my idea of fun. I didn't know who you were or even about the shifters yet. Us becoming friends. Best friends was not planned at all. It was the best thing about camp. I hated that it was over that first year and couldn't wait till the next year. Every year after I looked more forward in seeing you and what kind of things I could get you to do." We both laughed at that. He was right. He was the only one that could get me to try new things.

"My family is real. Everything I told you about them is the truth. I didn't lie to you about any of that. Remember not too long ago when I told you I fell in love with you when I was 12? Truth once again. But I now know that was just a crush. Nothing could compare to what I feel for you know." He rushed on so I couldn't interrupt. Not that I had a clue what to say. "Anyways, it was when I got home that year from camp that my family told me what they were and what my choices were. Of course I thought they were crazy till my dad changed."

He was laughing. I could tell he was thinking back on that day. "After I changed my pants I thought it was the coolest thing ever! Then they told me about you. Said you were special and would need protecting no matter what happened between us. Then my father asked if I would be willing to learn and train hard to be a protector. A soldier. Willing to give my life for yours." This whole time he never looked at me once. He just stared out in the water. "That was the easiest decision of my life. We started my training a week later. You know every time I would get tired or frustrated of all the learning and training I thought of you? You are the one who got me through it all. You still do." Finally he was staring deep into my eyes. Looking into my soul as I did to his.

"It wasn't till last summer that I knew everything about you being a born. No one would tell me till after I changed and accepted my role. It was for your safety. With my Alpha, our Alpha's command I couldn't tell anyone. Not that I ever would." I believed him. Believed every word. He turned back to the water and stayed quiet for a minute. His body grew tense and I knew I wasn't going to like what was coming next. "Hunter, about that night." Oh I so did not want to hear this at all. "Listen. Please." It was the sadness, the fear, and the begging in his voice that kept me from moving. "That night...when you seen me...This is no way an excuse at all I am just telling you what I was feeling at the time. That day after our fight about being with other people. And for the record I have never done anything with anyone besides kiss them. Even then it never worked. It never felt right so after I tried a couple times I didn't bother. I knew why it didn't feel right so it was a waste of time in my eyes.

"Anyways, that day you wouldn't talk to me, never mind look at me and it was eating me alive but I didn't know what to say. You were so mad and I was afraid if I said the wrong thing it would make things worse. Then that night. It killed me not to be there for you. Seeing you like that was the worst. I couldn't even think straight. Things were just going to hell and back. Nothing was going right and I seen you pull away from everyone. We were losing you and I didn't have a clue how to fix it. So later I needed to get away and think. Think on what I could do to help you with everything that was going on. Try to make things easier for you. I came up with absolutely nothing. I was failing at what I was trained to do. What every cell in my body was commanding me to do. To protect you. It felt like I was going mad."