Chapter 14 Hunter

Muffled voices, sounds of feet pacing, and a steady tapping sound brought me out of my haze. Hushed angry voices started to rise but still too muffled to make out. Fighting against the fog my brain was in I concentrated on one voice. The soothing deep voice that had been there for me during some tough times, Mr. Thomas.

It was his voice that I heard, his voice that pulled me out of the fog, and his voice that was increasing getting louder and more irate. "Someone better tell me something and soon!" His voice came through loud and clear, and completely out of patients.

Moaning, "Can you keep it down a little? A girl needs her beauty sleep." As soon as I opened my mouth I wished I hadn't. If I just would had stayed quiet another minute I might had figured out what was going on, and why people were in my cabin while I was sleeping.

"Stop!" Amanda's voice rang through the room, there was missing the demand to be listened too. Feeling the side of my bed move I opened my eyes to see her sitting there. "Hey honey. How are you feeling?"

I started to say Ok but then I realized I didn't feel Ok at all. Everything hurt and my body was burning up. "Agh...Terrible." Looking around the room, it was filled past its capacity. "Um what's going on? Why are you all in my cabin? Why does everyone look so freaked?" They did, they looked like they were waiting for me sprout a second head or something.

"Hunter," Amanda called my attention back to her. "What are you feeling? Does anything hurt?" The concern in her voice was alarming.

Keeping my eyes on her and trying to ignore the intense stares coming from around the room I did an inventory before answering. Starting at my feet, I stretched every muscle until I end up at my fingertips. "What doesn't hurt? What's wrong with me? It feels like I was hit by a truck. Why is it so damn hot in here?" I asked, ripping off the covers. Between the incredible heat, and the soft touch of the blankets had my skin on fire.

"The full moon isn't for another week?" Someone said from the back of the room and was followed by many "Shh".

"Do you feel restless? Caged?" Mr. Thomas asked.

Shaking my head before I answer, "No. No not at all. I feel the opposite. I am really tired. So if you all could maybe leave so I can get back to sleep, that would be great." Not the most tactful but I was really tired.

Hushed voices sounded like they were arguing again but the room was dark and I was too tired to put much effort to see who and what was going on. I heard a muffled, "Fine." Then people shifting out of the way and a familiar shape broke through the crowd.

"Grayson? Oh crap." Things started to come back one by one. Taking C.J. on a tour. Ending up at the lake sitting on the boulders, where I told him about my dreams, and where I fell asleep on him. "How long have I been sleeping? I am so sorry Grayson. If you give me a few minutes I will get ready and we can go do what you had planned for us." I said, sitting up and swinging my feet off the bed.

"Wow wow." Grayson grabbed my legs and placed them back on the bed and gently pushed me back down so I am lying flat on my back. "Don't worry about it. There will be other nights. Umm," he looked over at the nightstand, "you have been out for about 17 hours."

Before I could even think of a response Mr. Thomas voice boomed through the room. "Ok everybody out. Let Hunter get some more rest." With that said the room started to empty slowly. Leaving Amanda, Mr. Thomas, Jarek, and Grayson, who took Amanda's place sitting beside me on the bed holding my hand gently. "You too, Grayson," Mr. Thomas said.

"No. I'm staying." Grayson said, turning to look at Mr.Thomas.

I thought he was going to demand him to leave but he didn't. He nodded, turned to look at Jarek and they both left out the door. Popping his head back in, Mr. Thomas said, "There is a 2-way radio on the nightstand, use it. I will be in the office." Then he left before anyone could say anything.

"Hon, drink this," Amanda passed me a white plastic cup with a straw. "Oh, don't smell it," she warned when I was bringing it up to my nose. "It really doesn't taste very well at all and smells worse but it will help you get your strength back."

She was right about the smell. I couldn't describe it if I even wanted too. Holding the cup out at arm's distance, scrunching up my nose. I didn't care how the stuff would make me feel. I was not drinking it.

Taking it out of my hands, Grayson gave me his crooked smile and mouthed wimp. "Come on, Hunter. It's really not that bad and you get used to it." He then put the straw to his lips and took a healthy drink from the smelly stuff.

So focused on watching his lips I didn't notice when he removed the straw from his lips and placed it between mine. Still mesmerized by those soft lips that had kissed me a few hours ago. The memory had me forget about the smell of the drink and too took a big sip from the straw. The most offence taste I had ever endured hit my tongue. I heard or think I heard Amanda say, "swallow it all", but I wasn't sure. I was too busy trying not to vomit all over the place. One big gulp and the most disgusting thing I have ever drank was down my throat and a cold glass of water replaced the other cup, that I vowed I would never drink again.

"See not so bad." Grayson said with a growing smirk while I stared daggers at him the whole time. "Ok, time for you to sleep. I will be here when you wake up."

Yes, I was tired but after sleeping for 17 hours I wasn't sure if I could sleep anymore. I was wrong. Sleep pulled on me immediately. I didn't even have time to say anything before my eyes were so heavy I couldn't fight to keep them open even another second. The last thing I think I remember was feeling Grayson's lips on my forehead and whispered words, which sounded a lot like "I love you."