Chapter 26 Hunter

I had never been to a funeral and from what Amanda explained to me, this ceremony was the Wolf way of saying goodbye. With a few adjustments because the entire camp was here. Humans and most of them didn't know about the choices they would have to make if they choose to become a shifter. A wolf shifter. The campers were told this fire was to celebrate my aunt's life, which was true but it was also the Wolf way of showing the spirit its way back home. I wasn't convinced on the latter but who was I to pick apart a lifetime ceremony.

Everyone surrounded the fire, soft murmurs drowned out the crackle of the 5-foot fire. There was no excitement in anyone's faces. Only respect and sorrow for my aunt and for those who knew her. Even the ridiculous rumours seemed to stop. Thank the heavens my uncle did not hear any of those. He didn't need anything else to deal with right now.

C.J. was at my side where he had been all day and Grayson stood on the other. It was the first time I saw him since I left him on the beach. I know I should not still be mad at him, especially at a time like this but I couldn't help not to be upset with him. I know I was not his first girlfriend, well didn't know but I assumed very strongly that I wasn't. You didn't see me getting my panties in a bunch over who he dated before me.

I kept my arms crossed under my boobs for two reasons: one, so I wouldn't have to hold his hand and the second, it gave me the false sense of security. The tighter I held myself together the less chance of falling apart. That's what I kept on telling myself anyways.

Uncle Adam cleared his throat and silence fell among us all. "First, I would like to thank all of you for showing your respect to an amazing women. Myself and the others that knew Grace appreciate it greatly. As you all know this gathering is to celebrate her life not to mourn her death and to give our final goodbyes at the end.

"How this works, for most of you that do not know, is the ones that knew her will each share one of their happiest memories with the rest of us. Once that is done those people will then say their goodbyes. After all that is done we celebrate with enjoying the rest of the night in laughter and showing love for one another."

That earned some giggles and even some of the adults were fighting back smiles. One of the traditions that were normally done would not be tonight. As I had been told shifters are very comfortable being naked. So during the ceremony they all would be naked or in their wolf form. That was one that I was grateful that I did not have to witness. And the celebration after they did indeed showed their love with each other. Did I say how much I am grateful that I do not see that version?

Raising his hand everyone quieted down. "I don't really have any stories to tell about Grace. I had just had the pleasure of meeting her very recently, but what I had seen was an amazing person. Her heart was probably the biggest I have ever seen in anyone. The love she had to offer and give was astonishing. And from the stories I have heard about her I wish I would have had the opportunity to get to know her better." Uncle Adam said.

It was a lie, he did know her but the decision to keep up the facade was made for my safety and others. So the things that should have been said, wanted to be said, could not be said. Once the camp was done there would be another ceremony if Uncle John wanted one where everyone who knew and loved Aunt Grace could participate. I had drifted off a bit, my own memories circling when Uncle Adam seemed to have called out my name more than once.

I really didn't want to do this. I was keeping it together so far but talking about my aunt out loud was a different story. I still wasn't completely convinced that my Uncle John still didn't blame me in some way. Looking at Uncle Adam he nodded for me to go on and then glancing at Uncle John, he was staring into the fire. The light of the flames enhanced the lifeless look in his eyes and the dark circles underneath. His face was taut, not with anger but sorrow.