Chapter 9 Hunter

Walking along the path taking in the fresh clean scent of pine, the earthy musky scent of the dirt and the crisp smell of the lake just beyond the trees remind me of home. Spreading a sense of peace and longing throughout my body . The falling sun just below the treetops lights the sky with pinks, purples and yellows. It was the most relaxing and intriguing time of the day. Night creeping around the corner. The full moon eagerly waiting to bath its white glory through the trees lighting a new path for me to follow.

A few of my fellow campers were trailing behind as everyone found what interests them the most. A family of bunnies hopped across the path just ahead. Not wanting to startle them I reached my hand behind me and whispered to Grayson, "Look," I said and pointed with my other hand. Not receiving a response I turned to notice the other camp kids were no longer around. Where they once stood dark shadows took their place, elongating as the sun hid behind the horizon barely peeking over. It would be full dark soon.

The dream may had started differently and gave me a false sense of security but I knew what was about to happen. No matter what I did I could never wake up from what was about to happen.

Grayson nowhere in sight, the shadows stretched out like fingers reaching to grab hold of the nearest thing. They were getting dangerously close to me. I had to get back to the cabin and fast. Turning on the balls of my feet I started to zig zag through the trees, jumped over the shadows knowing all too well what held their secrets.

The sun had dropped leaving only the night and the cloud covered full moon. Exhausted, sweat dripped down between my shoulder blades and in my eyes I pushed my aching legs harder knowing time was running out and they would fall upon me at any moment. A faint howl came from where I started then quickly followed by others. Fear etched every muscle in my body had me stumble over a large fallen branch. Putting out my hands in front of me as I fell to protect my face from smashing into the rough ground leaving my knees and hands cut and bleeding.

"Oh not good, not good," I whispered seeing a large gash a crossed my right hand dripping with blood. No time to stop and clean it out, I started running full out as the howling increases with excitement as the scent of my blood traveled with the breeze. The howling was much closer than I thought possible.. I was lost and terrified in the woods. The same woods that usually brought me peace and a sense of home. Every step, every heartbeat had the blood running down my fingers faster. Leaving the hunters a nice bread crumb trail to find me all that much faster. Heart pounding so loud I could not tell how far or close the sound of paws hitting the ground were.. They seemed to be growing farther, it was a trick, I knew they were getting closer. Running forward, never looking back as I weaved in between the trees. Low branches and shrubs scraped my body as I ran through them and away from the terror that was hunting me.

A faint whimper cut through all the other sounds; my heart pounded, my breathing was laboured and of course the paws hitting the ground. That faint whimper had me stop cold. Whipping my head around trying to find out where it was coming from. I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Behind, to my left or was it the right? Maybe ahead of me. Please be ahead of me. That's when I heard a pain-filled moan then a whisper of my name. "Hunter."

My body was telling me to run in the opposite direction and part of my brain agreed but I knew what was coming and there was no way I could leave someone out here to face what could not be beaten. Weaving between the trees and stopping every few steps to listen. I finally saw a human shape huddled on the ground in a fetal position.

"Hunter...run...they...coming...lake," The human which looked familiar whispered through the pain he was in and yes it was male.

Moving quickly I knelt beside the figure gently moving his dark hair away from his face. His hand lashed out so quickly I didn't see him move until his bone chilling grip was around my wrist. Lifting himself up on his shaky free arm, turning up his agonizing eyes it took me a second to see who it was. Those familiar emerald green eyes were replaced with golden brown ones. "Grayson?"