Chapter 20 Hunter

I woke in my bed in my cabin and at first I thought everything was just a dream after all until I walked outside to see one of the camp counsellors parked on the steps drinking a coffee. Just as they told me last night. I would not be alone at any second of the day until I shifted for my first time. The questions I still had and they did not answer was, "what happens after I shift?" and "Will someone always be watching me from now on?" Yeah they avoided both those questions like the plague and that didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Needing a few minutes to myself, and since I didn't see either Grayson or C.J. waiting for me I started off for the Mess Hall. Not that I was really alone. I was also told that some of my foster parents would be here daily taking shifts keeping an eye on me from a distance so the other campers would not see them. Some would even be in their wolf form out in the woods lurking about.

I wasn't sure if I could actually feel eyes on me or if it was just my imagination but by the time I made it to the Mess Hall I was a nervous wreck. One on the things Nikko and Uncle Adam strongly suggested was to try to keep my emotions levels down and calm. Strong emotions would trigger my shift and would make it a harder transition. Opening the door, the sounds of my fellow campers spilt out with giggles and anticipation for the day's events. I wrapped those familiar sounds around me, letting their excitement wash away my own worries.

That worked for about a minute and a half. The sight of Uncle Adam talking to Nikko by the food area had my stomach back in knots. "Damn, it wasn't a dream," I mumbled under my breath. Straightening my shoulders, no longer able to ignore my growling stomach I put on my best smile and headed over to pick up a plate.

"Good morning...ah Mr. Thomas, Nikko," pouring out as much cheerfulness as I possibly could.

"Good morning," they both spoke at once with Uncle Adam adding, "How are you..."

"Fine. Great. If you will excuse me I am starving," I cut him off and dashed through the line not paying any attention on what I put on my own plate.

Heading to my usual table, I was grateful that it was empty. Even the absence of Grayson and C.J. was a welcomed sight. Making a beeline for my goal, concentrating on not running didn't help my frazzled nerves. I would have loved to blame my scatter brain on why I didn't notice the man that snuck up from behind me. But I couldn't.

"Got enough food there?" Jarek asked. I did the embarrassing jump and squeal, almost dropping my tray of food. If it wasn't for Jarek's quick reflexes I would have dumped it. "Ok we really need to teach you to be more aware of your surroundings." He lost the playful tone in his voice he had seconds ago.

Snatching back my tray, I said in a hushed cold tone, "Well, if you didn't enjoy sneaking up on me I would be fine." I stomped off to my table where I wanted to be alone but my wish was not granted. Jarek sat down in front of me.

"I'm serious Hunter. I could have had you out the door by the time you knew what happened. You need to use your senses. I know you have them even before the first shift," he whispered while taking a piece of bacon off my plate.

"Hey! Get your own food." I stared daggers at him. In no mood to talk, never-mind talk about who and what I was. Jarek gave me a playful smile and then looked down at my plate. Following his gaze I groaned. I really wasn't paying attention. I had piled enough food for three people, well from what I understand on how much food Grayson could inhale, it was enough for 3 humans. "Fine. Help yourself," I grumbled. I wasn't that petty to waste this much food just because the man irritated me and he made me feel thing that confused me.

"What are you doing here?" The bitterness from Grayson was clear. "Morning Babe," he added in a much softer tone as he kissed the top of my head.

Maybe Jarek was right about paying more attention to my surroundings. I didn't even hear or see Grayson walk in or to the table. I always knew where he was.