Chapter 51 Hunter

"So what's the plan?" I asked no one in general as we started to climb out of the Humvee, squeezing out in between brush and trees. I wasn't paying much attention to where we were driving so I was kinda amazed on just how we made it through the thick brush with no real trail to follow.

"You will be staying on two feet. No shifting at all Hunter!" Uncle Adam told me while staring a hole through my head, making sure the message reached my thick head.

Before I could asked why, Nikko answered my unasked question, "Your scent is stronger in your wolf form. All borns can sense as soon as another born shifts within a certain distance, even if they are not from the same pack. You will glow like a neon light. Your uncle is right, no shifting."

"And never, never go off on your own. You will have us with you at all times. Hunter this is important. We can't protect you if we are worried about your safety and where you are." What Uncle Adam said made sense and I gave him a firm nod that I understood and would do what they said. Even though my teenage rebellion wanted to argue or was it my wolf? Yeah, this was a learning curve I never knew if it was me or Lupa.

I was really getting the hang of this wolf thing. There were other wolves all around us, the borns and made and I was able to sense where each one was. As we walked through the dense trees and shrubs my uncle's did not even try to conceal that I was being kept in a protective circle. I knew I shouldn't complain and I also knew there was little I could do to protect myself from those who were after me. Especially after I witnessed what happened to my Aunt but it did bother me. A lot. I have pretty much had to take care of myself all my life and now having people around who cared for me was still hard to get used to. Ok yes I am being a little dramatic. They have always cared for me and have always been in my life. But none of them told me anything until I was about to go through my "change". Huh...I guess I was still a little more bitter then I realized.

It was warm and the air felt unusually moist and heavy. My thoughts were jumbled and confused. Every step I took I had to concentrate harder and harder just to lift each foot so I wouldn't trip. My body was humming with growing tension and anger. Between concentrating on walking, keeping my growing anger and tension in control I couldn't pay attention to my surroundings or the people/wolves around me. I couldn't figure out where this anger and doubt came from but what I did know was I wanted, needed, to run and run now. That wasn't an option and I knew that but Lupa paced and a little closer then I felt comfortable with. She was scared and confused and she wanted to run. To be let free. Feeling the wind through our fur, the dirt beneath our paws as we weave between the trees. Digging our claws in deeper as we pick up speed and run, run away from all of this. She was close to getting what she wanted.

Head down, slow deep breaths while I put all my concentration on moving one foot in front of the other and staying in control. Every slow deep breath I took released some of the doubt that crashed down on me. Yeah, that lasted about three steps.

Did they really care about ME or the person, thing, they thought I could become? That thought hit me hard. These people I cared about, who I thought as my friends and family may not like me but what I could give them. Wow I am a stupid teenager! It was all lies. My thoughts were scrambling a mile-a-minute that I somehow didn't see the 2 foot wide tree in front of me and smacked into face first. I wasn't sure if I was more embarrassed about that or the fact that these people played me like a fine tune violin. Anger, hurt, ashamed, and confusion came off me in a tidal wave. I couldn't keep my emotions in check. I must have been doing an ok job before because no one paid attention to me before I smacked right into the stupid tree that seemed to jump in my way. I kept my head down, refusing to rub the sore spot on my forehead where most of the impact hit the tree. The more I thought about it I really wondered how I was still on 2 feet. Even with my head down I could feel all eyes on me, human and wolf. A month ago I could have got away with doing something so stupid because I was by far not the most graceful person out there. Now there was no excuse. Once again I let my mind wander off and not pay attention to what was going on around me. I should be thankful for having these people around me to protect me since clearly I couldn't even protect a wounded bird.

One good thing with the huge headache I now it seemed to push out my anger and doubts. Shaking my head I stepped around the tree ignoring the eyes and kept moving forward. As long as no one wasn't going to say anything I wasn't either. Well that was all wishful thinking.

"Stop!" Both Nikko and Jarek growled with echoes of a couple wolves out somewhere in the trees. I could hear then but not see them.

In a blink of an eye Nikko, Jarek, and two wolves I have never seen before burst through the trees in two different directions. The wolves were on high alert with their hackles up and Nikko stood in-front of me with his hands on either side of my face and Jarek 's body was pressed firmly against my back. As soon as they touched me I felt so much better. I could breathe again, my jumbled thoughts were clear and all my doubts were gone. Ok most of them.

"Feeling better?" Nikko asked as he lifted my face and stared into my eyes as if searching for something. All I could do was nod. I was, but still a little shaken up. "He's stronger than I thought he was," Nikko said but I don't think it was to me. "No Adam, he nor his pack are here but he is throwing out some massive power. I think he is able to make one of us to change from a distance. He was aiming it at Hunter that was why we could not feel it right away. Actually I could not feel it at all until I started to feel Hunter's emotions change drastically."

Nikko shook his head then followed by an explanation. If I didn't know better I would have sworn Uncle Adam was talking to Nikko through their minds but he is not a born nor were either in wolf form so it was kind of freaky how Nikko was answering unasked questions. "As long as one of us stays with her she will be fine now. Our physical touch helps her more but now we know what he is capable of and that is half the battle. I and my pack can help with this."

And that is how he left it. No explanation but my uncles seemed to understand and that was ok with them and although I was feeling better I was too damn tired to care or even begin to understand what he was talking about. All I did catch was that the other Alpha was trying to get me into wolf form and that would have put a big flashing neon arrow to where I was.

Jarek took my hand and we started to walk again. Every step we took I felt a little stronger. Not sure if it had to do with the physical touch from Jarek or just me feeling back to myself. I was even able to notice that Grayson wasn't throwing a fit about Jarek holding my hand. So either he had given up or understood a hell of a lot more than I was at the moment. I was still too tired to think about.