Chapter 25 Hunter

It had been two days since my aunt's murder. Uncle John was up and moving and was even capable of holding onto a conversation, but he spent most of the time by himself. I would love to have that option, time to myself I mean. However, Uncle Adam and Nikko said it was impossible. Me taking off did so not help that so I guess part of this was my own fault. I knew when to argue and when it was a lost cause. This was a lost cause. I really shouldn't complain, I got to spend most of my time with Grayson, and what girl wouldn't want to be with their hot boyfriend all day and most of the night.

The other campers started to feel the unease coming from the adults. Nikko and my uncle going all paranoid decided keeping the extra adults hidden was a waste of effort. So of course that meant they were out in the open. Then rumours were flying around about my aunt's death. That just added fuel to the fire. With all the attention I was receiving I ended up being in a few of some of those rumours.

I think the most amusing one was that I was pregnant and she was so distraught she lost control of her car. Ok that was what the story on how my aunt died, a car accident. But, me pregnant? Really? I had a strong suspicion who started that one. The cocky smirk I received from Alice as she bent over and whispered into another campers ear minutes before the pregnancy rumour got back to me. Two months pregnant and I wasn't sure who the daddy-to-be was. Seeing the shocked look on my face and Grayson's pissed off one had Alice in hysterics.

"It's not true," I told Grayson. Since he heard that rumour he had been a bit off. His hand was in mine as we walked along the beach. We have been walking in silence for over an hour and with every step he seemed to become more and more agitated. "Not pregnant," I added when he looked confused.

He finally met eyes but then turned away. After a few intense moments, his body increasing became nervous and rigid. He cleared his throat. "Are you...have you?" He mumbled.

I wasn't that far out of my mind with grief and worry to catch on what he was asking. I didn't know whether to laugh or hit him. I ended up with sounding tired. "No, I have not been with anyone."

His relief was visible. Letting out the breath he seemed to be holding he let out a nervous laugh. "Good. That's real good."

Ok maybe it was just me, but his reaction pissed me off. With everything that had been happening maybe I was looking for an outlet for my frustration and anger. "So what, if I wasn't a virgin you wouldn't want to be with me? Would I be used and dirty to you? You know Grayson..." I yanked my hand out of his. Feeling my face growing redder and redder, and my body taut with anger I spat out, "I lied. I have had lots of boyfriends. And all of them were not jerks like my current one." I stomped off leaving Grayson standing there with his mouth hanging open.

I just outright lied to my best friend, my boyfriend but I couldn't get past the look on his face thinking I have had sex with someone. He actually looked completely and utterly disgusted with the thought of me with someone else. Stomping my way back to the cabin I was grateful but at the same time disappointed that he didn't try to stop me. So that just pissed me off even more. Hey I never said I was all that emotionally stable these days.

Halfway up the path, angry tears stung my eyes, I realized I was finally alone. The first time since they drugged and dragged me back from my little excursion. With no one chasing me, I slowed my pace and tried to enjoy the solitude. The sound of voices that were coming my way, and not in the mood to talk to anyone, I veered of the path and started to hike through the trees.

Not paying attention on where I was going, just far enough so I could no longer hear anybody. I stepped over fallen trees, weaved between trees and breathed in deep the familiar scents of the pines, dirt, and wild flowers. I wasn't sure how long I had been walking and letting my mind go blank, not thinking of anything at all. It took the third snap of a trig to grab my attention.

My first instinct was to turn to see what or who was following me, and the second, the more paranoid side, wanted me to run. Keeping my breathing steady, I listened more intently on where the sound was coming from. To the right and a little behind me. Ok now I knew where it was coming from, now what to do? The other thing was since I wasn't paying attention to where I was going I wasn't sure exactly where I was. So running away from the noise could lead me deeper into the woods. What I did know was that I was wasting time, wasting precious time.

Mind made up I was going to run to the left but back the way I came and hoped I could make it past my stalker and to the cabins. Body tensing ready to take off in the fastest run I could muster up, a familiar voice rang out.

"It's just me, Hunter. Please don't run," C.J. stepped out from behind a tree. I was right, he was to my right and just behind me, around 20 feet or so.

"Dammit C.J. You gave me a heart attack." I turned on him. "What are you doing out here?"

"Looking for you. Grayson said you took off and when he couldn't find you your uncle had us all go looking." Speaking into the 2-way radio he said, "It's C.J. I found her. We're coming back now." To me he added, "Come on, you have a bunch of worried people looking for you and they won't be happy until they see you with their own eyes."

He was right and with the little scare he gave me I was ready to head back to my cabin. The walk was quiet. I wasn't in the mood to talk and he respected that.

The voices of the campers told me we were closer to the camp. C.J. was starting to fidget and slowed his pace. Finally he spoke. "I know this is a stupid question, but how are you? We haven't had much time since I arrived to have some one-on-one time."

He was right again. Besides the time I showed him around, we have had no time for just the two of us. Between everything that was going on and spending all the rest of my time with Grayson, I have ignored my other best friend. The one that wrote me every year, a few times a year, and the one I haven't seen in years. Yep, that guilt knife just twisted deeper into my gut. Nothing about this summer was going well. I was screwing up everything and hurting everyone who cared for me.

This summer should had been my best summer. Finding out I had a real family and wouldn't be alone anymore. I had my first boyfriend, and seeing C.J and able to spend time with him for the first time in years. It should have been the beginning of a new and great life. But instead, it was turning out to be the worst. A nightmare that I couldn't wake up from. Losing my aunt and possibly my uncle, fighting with Grayson and not sure what was going to happen with that, and finally not spending any time with C.J.. My life was spinning out of control and fast. Oh and I can't forget about everything else. On the top of that I was supposed to be a wolf. A born, female wolf.

Stopping in front of him, giving him a big bear hug my voice muffled with my face buried into his chest. "I am so sorry C.J. I'm sorry for not spending time with you. Please forgive me."

"No Hunter. You don't need to apologize. Shit you are taking everything extremely well. I am just being a selfish jerk," he said holding me tight. "I was just hoping this would have went differently is all. I just really miss you."

Pulling away and giving him a big smile I said, "Ok how bout we change what we can. C.J. would you like to spend the rest of the day together? That is if you have no other plans."

"Really?" He was beaming with excitement. "Oh wait. Umm what about tonight? The remembrance bonfire?" He added with sorrow for both my aunt and our plans already being broken.

"Would you stay with me tonight? At the fire I mean. I might need a friend. My best friend." I looked up showing him that tonight was going to be hard and I would in fact need him.