Chapter 51: It All Ends Here-Part 3

After they heard the story about Chief King and Marconi's gun, Marie decided to her horror and to Jones' shock that she has no choice but to add Chief King to their list of suspects. Jones then clutched Marie's shoulders and exclaimed, "Marie, think clearly cause this is insane! We can't possibly add the chief to our list of suspects in Adam Bentley's murder! I mean, can we?!"

"Well think about it Jones! Chief King is very close to the mayor. And he did have a weird grudge against Adam. Plus, he did have access to the murder weapon," Marie said.

Jones then let out a frustrated sigh and said, "But it's the chief! He would never have committed a crime! He fights crime!"

Marie then shook her head sadly and said, "Babe, we have no choice."

Jones started to sweat nervously and said, "Oh god, we're gonna have to tell him to his face!" And soon, they headed towards the chief's office to break the bad news to Chief King.

In Chief King's office, King saw Jones and Marie enter and he smiled and said, "Marie, have you come to give me your report? Did you figure out who killed Adam Bentley?"

Marie shook her head and said, "No sir, not yet. But we have found a new suspect."

King faltered his smile and said, "I guess that counts for something. So, who is it?"

Marie then lifted her hand and pointed her finger at Chief King and said to him, "It's you, grandpa!"

Surprised by what he heard, King asked out, "I beg your pardon?!"

Jones then asked, "Wait a minute, grandpa?! He's your grandfather Marie?!"

Marie looked at Jones and said, "I'll tell you later David. And sir, the thing is this. The gun that was used to execute Adam belonged to Tony Marconi and that same gun was confiscated by you when you arrested Marconi for driving and offense years ago!"

King then let out a sigh and said, "Well, I guess justice should apply to everyone. I am very impressed with your integrity Marie. I guess I have no choice but to step down from my position as chief until your investigation is over. From now on Marie, you may officially treat me as an ordinary suspect."

Before Marie could say anything, Chief King petted her hair and told her to do what she must and soon Jones and Marie left the chief's office. After they exited, Jones asked, "Marie, did we actually just do this? Did we just tell the chief that he's a suspect in our murder investigation?!"

"We're here to solve crimes Jones, no matter what the cost," Marie said and Jones nodded agreeing with her.

Jones began to think what they should do now. Either tackle Chief King's interrogation or go back the crime scene and search for more clues. Marie then suggested that they talk to the chief about his ties to the investigation first before they explore the crime scene again. In the interrogation room, Chief King was waiting for them and once they were seated in front of him, King said to Marie, "Ask away with your questions Marie. I mustn't get any special treatment cause after all I'm just another suspect."

Marie started to struggle with her questioning and she clenched her fists and said, "I'm too afraid to grandpa! You're family and my father's father! It's hard to treat you like this after all you've done for me all these months!"

King looked at Marie kindly and said to her, "Give it all you've got. There's nothing I'm not prepared for that you haven't done yet."

Marie then took a deep breath and then she said, "Alright, I will. Can you confirm that you were the officer who confiscated the gun from Tony Marconi?"