Chapter 36: The Devil's Playground-Part 3

While Jones and Marie were briefing about the case after a hard day's work, Madison Springer came in and told them that her cousin Hannah Hersberger might kill herself to so she can be reunited with Tom and that got Jones shocked. Madison then said to the two officers, "I don't know where she's gone, but please you've got to stop Hannah! I don't know what I would do if she died!"

"But Grimsborough's such a big city! How on earth will we find her before she dies in the name of love?!" Jones said in an exaggerated voice.

Marie then got and idea and said, "Hannah must've gone to the kissing spot on Sunset Hill. After all, that's where she fell in love with Tom!" And soon they left the station quickly to stop the Amish girl before they were too late.

When they got there, they found Hannah, but they saw that they were too late as she opened up a bottle of poison and she said, "Losing your soulmate is a fate much worse than death!"

Just as she was about to put it up to her lips, Marie shouted, "No Hannah! Don't drink that!"

But they were too late as Hannah consumed the whole bottle and she dropped it to the ground. Hannah then whispered, "Wait for me, my love." And she collapsed to the ground.

The two officers ran to her side and Marie put her fingers against her neck to feel her pulse, but it was weak. Marie looked at Jones and said, "Her pulse is weak and the poison has already taken effect. We got to get her to the hospital now!"

"You're right and we also need to find out which poison she took so we can make an antidote for her! I know you can do it Marie, only you can save her," Jones said and Marie agreed to put her skills to the test.

After they took Hannah to the hospital, the two officers returned to the kissing spot and Marie found the broken pieces of glass from the phial that Hannah swallowed. Marie then started to put them back together to identify the poison cause time is of the essence. After a few seconds, the glass pieces were back together again and they make up the phial that contained the poison Hannah drank. Just then, Jones' phone started to ring and he answered it to hear if Nathan had an update for them.

On the other end, Nathan said, "Jones, Marie has to hurry! The doctors have placed Hannah in an artificial coma to slow down the poison's progress, but without a sample of the poison there's no way of knowing what kind of antidote to give her!"

"Marie has just restored the phial Nathan! And we're just about to collect a sample," Jones said to Nathan.

Nathan breathed a sigh of relief and told them to rush to the lab as soon as she collects a sample. Nathan than told Jones to give the phone to Marie and when he did, Nathan said to her, "We're all counting on you!"

After Marie hung up the phone, she knew that she needed to hurry and hoped there was enough poison left to retrieve a sample. Marie then collected a small sample of the poison and they hurried off to give it to Nathan so he can pinpoint what kind of poison it is so they can save Hannah in time. Jones then suggested that they should also inform Hannah's father about the tragic development instead of idling around in fear and Marie agreed. Once they reached the farm, Marie told Ezekiel everything about Hannah.

To his shock Ezekiel exclaimed, "Hannah, meine kleine liebe, why?! Why would she do such a thing?!"

"We don't know Ezekiel, but don't worry. She's in good hands now," Jones informed him.

The man then went cross and said to the two officers angrily, "This is all your fault you English scum! If I wasn't Amish, I would've given you one good kick with my boots and sent you on your way!"