Chapter 5: A Russian Case-Part 3

After they gave their report, Marie and Jones were sitting at their desks reflecting on the case so far. So far, they both know Dimitri and Marconi have a motive to kill Anton. Marie also mentioned that Anton's son Mikhail also has a motive to kill him. However, the two officers were getting skeptical on what they know and it was then Jones made a suggestion, that they go back to Mikhail's and search for more evidence.

Marie agreed to that and just as she was about to leave, Jones also told her he has a plan to make Dimitri spill the beans on his collaboration with Marconi. The first thing they did was have Ramirez call Dimitri and ask him to come back to the station. Once they had him in the interrogation room, Jones smirked and said, "We had a chat with your friend Marconi. It turns out he sold you out to us."

Dimitri smirked and said to the officer, "You think I'd fall for that? Marconi knows better than that."

"We know of your deal to him though. Anton was just an obstacle in your way," Marie pointed out.

Dimitri then put on a smug grin and said to the officers, "Did I want Mr. Levin's position? Yes. Did his death make my day. Definitely. But as for bloodshed, I'm more subtle when I "operate." And soon, he got up from his seat and left the room.

After Dimitri was gone, Jones creased his eyebrows in anger and said, "I'm so fed up with that guy. As a matter of fact, I'm ready to jump back in those sewers to find more evidence."

Marie suggested that they go to Mikhail's apartment first and Jones agreed. When they got to the apartment and looked around, they found a bottle of hand sanitizer, which got Jones thinking that it won't be of much help now knowing both Mikhail and Eva use hand sanitizer. But what Marie found caught both their interests. It was a card with a number scratched out and they decided to head back to the station to uncover it.

Once they got back, Marie placed the card in the scanner and the it appeared on her computer. After decoding it, she got the phone number and they gave it to Alex to decipher it. Once they dropped it off, they headed out to check the sewers once again. After they entered the sewers, Marie searched around the conduit, until she saw two things that were of interest. The first was a gold chain they could belong to the killer and the second was a meat tenderizer.

Marie began thinking that when they found their victim, he had strange markings in his head and when she looked down at the meat tenderizer, she saw the end kind of looks like the markings. She smirked and thought, this could be our murder weapon. Once Jones saw them, they bagged the chain and meat tenderizer, headed back up to the surface and drove back to the station to get them analyzed.

Once they dropped the meat tenderizer off with Nathan, Marie went back to her desk to examine the gold chain. Soon, she extracted a blood sample from the chain and handed it off to Grace to be examined. Once the sample was dropped off, they headed back to Alex to here the results of the phone number they found. Alex told them with a sheepish grin that the phone number they found belonged to Bart Williams.

Jones turned furious and tossed the car keys to Marie signaling that she drives while he stomped away grumbling about kicking Bart's ass. Marie shrugged and thought, guess we're going to see Bart. Once they arrived in front of Bart, Jones grabbed the sides of his jacket and slammed him against the wall. He then shouted, "We found your number at Mikhail Levin's place! I swear Bart this is the last time you ever lie to me!"

Bart broke out into a sweat and said to Jones, "Easy now, Mikhail is one of my best clients. It would be bad for business if I tell on him like that."

Jones pressed Bart up against the wall harder and said, "Well guess what, I'm going to end your business unless you start talking!"