Chapter 39: Marked for Death-Part 3

While Jones and Marie were meeting with Chief King, the two of them met with his granddaughter Cathy. It was then that King explained that Cathy can be a fearful hacker if she was ever on the wrong side of the law and it was those words that made Jones realize that Cathy was the @rtist. King got concerned when he saw Jones give Cathy a funny look and he said, "I'm curious Jones, why are you looking at my granddaughter like she's some kind of freak? I mean, I know the pink hair is a little bold, but still!"

Jones started to sweat and he laugh nervously while playing with his shirt collar and he said, "I'm sorry Chief. It's just that I didn't expect your granddaughter to be the @r..."

Marie stepped on his foot before he said anything and she finished his sentence by saying, "He means he didn't expect her to be the most adorable woman she is!"

Cathy started to bite her nails nervously and said, "You're too kind Inspector Jones. And it's great to finally meet you face to face Marie, but I gave to get back to class. I'm sure we'll see each other again very soon." And as soon as she ran out the door Jones mumbled with cross eyes that he and Marie were looking forward to it.

After Cathy left, King said to the two officers, "Cathy's a bright girl and she'll go far, but sometimes I wish she would change the color of her hair. But now that she's gone, back to the case. I was told Mikhail Levin has accepted to undergo a lye detector test. Unfortunately, the machinery hasn't been used in a long time and it might need some tuning. I think that's pretty much a job for a technical genius like Marie."

After Marie accepted the lie detector, she and Jones went back to their desks so Marie could fix it when Jones said, "Ok Marie, my head is starting to spin like crazy right now! Cathy King's initials are C.K. and the chief himself said she can be a fearful hacker if she wanted to. And on the other hand, we've got the @rtist, the best hacker that we ever met, whose first band happens to be Cathy and wise initials are C.K. too. So, there's no doubt about it; Cathy King is the @rtist and she's Chief King's granddaughter! I just can't believe this! Can you Marie?!"

Marie was about to say that she did know, but before she could say anything, Jones started to once back and forth and he ranted, "All this time she's been helping us while staying off our radar! The way she owned up to her game makes me feel so obsolete!"

Jones then started to dig through his desk drawer for some cookies to help him cope. After he took a few out and chomped on one of them, he sighed in relief feeling a little better. After Jones relaxed, he said, "Still, and I hate to say it, but with her hacking skills, Cathy's still a solid suspect. I'd rather not let my imagination wander on how all of this will turn out in the end."

Jones continued to eat his cookies and Marie let out a sigh and said, "Hopefully that'll be it for today's surprises. I suggest we go and have another look at the gymnasium since Tyler liked to hang out there."

Jones agreed to her plan and then he suggested that they should go and talk to Dean Donna Walker again and see his she feels now that Mikhail is back in jail. Before they could do either one of those things, Marie decided to check out the lie detector that the chief gave her. When she looked at it, she saw that it hasn't been used in decades and when she tried to turn it on it started to flash like crazy asking for a reset code. Marie then opened it and started to turn the dials until she found the right code to reset the lie detector.

The two officers then headed backward to the prison to give Mikhail the test to see if he really did kill Tyler. Jones smiled giddily from ear to ear thinking that he can't wait to see Mikhail all wired up. As soon as they got there, Jones and Marie were face to face with Mikhail in the prison's interrogation room. Marie then asked him, "Just for the record Mikhail, you've agreed to undergo this lie detector test. Am I right?"