Chapter 12: Blood on the Trading Floor-Part 1

After all the excitement in the Industrial Area, King announced that Jones and Marie will start working in the Financial Center in a few days. Soon as he announced that, Jones packed up most of his stuff and left Marie's apartment knowing she'll be safe much to his chagrin and he began to worry about her being all alone in that big apartment with just a cat keeping her company. A few days later, Marie was getting ready for work while talking with April on the phone.

Once Marie told her about her promotion to a new district, April screamed on the other end which made Marie pull the phone away from her ear and once it got quiet on the other line April said, "Girl, I'm so proud of you! I wish I was there to cheer you on as you move on up!"

"I wish you were here too. But even though you're not, I'll always be thinking of you," Marie said as she buttoned up her police shirt.

Marie then felt April smile on the other end and she heard her say, "I'll be thinking about you too cause even though we're a thousand miles away from from each other, we're still best friends. And even if I'm not there, you still have Lucy by your side and your grandma's spirit as well as your parents's spirits. And don't forget that cutie pie David Jones; he seems to be your knight in shining armor with him being by your side all the time."

Marie then chuckled at her friend's statement and she told her that David may seem like a knight but he acts more like a fool. Soon, Marie was dressed in her uniform and told April that she'll be heading out soon and just as she was about to hang up April stopped her. Getting curious, Marie asked, "What seems to be the problem?"

April then explained, "Well, ever since you left home, I've been really curious about where I heard the name Grimsborough before so I was asking some of the neighbors, but nothing seemed to jog their memory. Anyway, when I find out, I'll let you know; right now I have to get to my job or my boss is going to chew me out again."

Marie then chuckled and wished April luck. Soon, she placed the phone on the battery charger, grabbed her bag and put on her shoes in the doorway. Soon, Lucy walked up to her and meowed as if she was telling her she'll see her later and Marie smiled and petted the cat on the head. After saying goodbye to Lucy, Marie exited her apartment, locked it and then she exited her building once she reached the ground floor and soon she began walking towards the station.

Once she got there, she went to the vending machine and bought a bottle of milk. As she was reaching down to grab it, she overheard two female officers talking and she heard one of them say, "I heard Chief King promoted Corporal Holmes to the Financial Center."

"He should stop babying her so much. That little whore is getting all the praise around here; I don't even know how she moved up the ranks so quickly. Even that fool Jones is babying her," the other officer said to her friend.

Soon, the two female officers left after Marie heard one of them say, "Well, what do expect from someone who was an Italian mobster's bitch." And Marie then looked down and sighed in frustration and she thought, I can't believe they're still talking about that; I wish I wasn't bullied so much even though I am an adult.

As soon as she opened the milk she bought and she began to drink it, she heard a voice sneer at her, "Drinking milk to make your boobs bigger, bitch?" And Marie looked to see her one rival leaning against the wall with her curly red hair and brown eyes that were burning holes right into Marie's skull.

Marie then crossed her eyes at the officer before her and she said, "For your information Olivia, that's a myth and second of all just because I'm promoted to a new district doesn't mean you or any other brainless officer has to bully me like we're still in kindergarten."

Olivia then pushed herself off the wall, walked over to Marie to look her in the eyes and said, "Well, if you'd stop letting your partner and the chief baby you all the time then maybe I can reconsider. But unless you have something more reasonable to tell me, you will be nothing but a shadow to a bunch of other officers in this redneck town." And soon she hit the bottle of milk out of Marie's hand and it hit the floor while spilling it's contents.