Chapter 17: The Last Supper-Part 3

As soon as Jones said that, Ramirez showed up in front of them and Jones pulled away from Marie quickly. After he did that Marie asked, "What's the news Ramirez?"

"I did some research and it seems that the victim's husband hit the jackpot by poisoning his wife. Apparently, he will receive a million dollars from her life insurance contract," Ramirez explained and the two officers eyes went wide with shock.

Jones then smirked and said, "I knew he was suspiciously unconcerned by Daisy's death! Come on Marie, let's have one last look at their kitchen before that asshole has any time to make anything disappear before we can find it."

"And yet, I get the feeling we're still missing something," Marie said curiously.

Jones then smiled brightly and said, "Well according to my empty stomach, it's telling me we should return to Chez Valentine and maybe we'll get a free lunch when we return." And Marie rolled her eyes and thought, I doubt that.

The first place they decided to look at first was the Thompson's kitchen. When the two officers arrived there, they started searching around the countertop until Marie found a bottle of nail hardener that matches the profile of the killer. She then brushed powder on it so she can get fingerprints from it so they can find out who touched it last. After they dropped the prints off with Alex, Jones and Marie headed to Chez Valentine to check the kitchen one more time.

Once they got there, Marie and Jones started to search around. Suddenly, Marie pulled out a yearbook from one of the drawers and she saw that it showed Valentine's promotion, but it also showed a torn page that Marie can restore. She also found a muffin that's covered in a pink goo. She soon bagged the muffin so she can take a sample for Grace to analyze. Marie also bagged the torn yearbook page and after she collected what she needed, both of them left the restaurant and headed back to the station.

Back at her desk, Marie took a sample off of the muffin and she handed to Grace to be analyzed. After she did that and returned to her desk, Jones said, "I just hope that pink substance is icing cause Valentine did say her kitchen was impeccable."

"Well if you watched Kitchen Nightmares, some kitchens are not impeccable," Marie mentioned as she sat down and started to put the page pieces from the yearbook back together.

Once the page was back together, Marie and Jones both saw that Tobias Sharp was in the same promotion as a Valentine Montgomery. Getting curious, Marie asked, "I wonder why Mr. Sharp didn't open his own restaurant?"

"Let's ask him and then maybe we can find out," Jones suggested and Marie agreed to that idea.

In the interrogation room, Marie showed the yearbook page to the food critic and asked him, "Are these pictures of you and Mrs. Montgomery Mr. Sharp?"

"Yes they are. Me and Valentine did go to cooking school together; even though I had more talent than her, but she had the money. And because of that, she ends up with her own restaurant, but what do I do? I end up as lousy food critic! That's why I wrote that inflammatory review about her place so she gets what she deserves; that woman has zero talent," Tobias explained.

After they heard Mr. Sharp's explanation, Jones and Marie were heading towards the tech lab when Jones said, "For someone who hates Valentine Montgomery's cooking that much, he seems to eat there often. Remember Marie, he ate there yesterday."

"I remember. Plus, he may not have succeeded in opening his own restaurant, but he still went to cooking school. Which means that Tobias Sharp must be a good cook," Marie added in.

Jones then stopped briefly and kissed Marie's cheek and whispered, "But I think you are a better cook."

Soon, the two officers showed up at the tech lab and Alex explained to them, "I analyzed the fingerprints on the nail hardener you found in the Thompson's kitchen and they belong to the victim's husband Gabriel." And after they heard that both Jones and Marie thought that that's weird and left to see what Gabriel had to say about it.