Chapter 3: The Grim Butcher-Part 2

While they were talking about the case, Ramirez came in and said to Marie, "Deputy, Vanessa Carter, the victim's mother, is ready to see you. But go easy when you talk to her, she's still in shock though."

"Thank you Ramirez. We'll do that," Marie said and just as she and Jones were about to leave, he stopped them saying he has one more thing for them.

Ramirez then handed Marie a backpack and told her that it was the victim's and it was found on the crime scene. She thanked him and Marie decided that it would be best to check through the backpack first before talking with the victim's mother. Once they unzipped the backpack, Marie dug through it until she found a cell phone inside. Marie then dropped the phone off with Alex so he can analyze through it and after that was done, Marie and Jones left the station to talk with Vanessa Carter.

At the Carter house, Marie and Jones were sitting in front of a woman with short-blonde hair, who was crying her eyes out. Marie looked at the woman and calmly told her, "Mrs. Carter, we are so sorry for your loss."

"I just can't believe by baby's dead. I told her to stay away from the homeless camp; it's full of nothing but deviants and murderers. But she kept going down there to see a boy and now look where it left her," the woman said sadly and angrily.

Jones then began to get watery eyes, not just because he felt sorry for the woman, but the smell of chain smoke was making them water. Jones then asked her, "Mrs. Carter, do you mind if my partner looks around your house while I get some fresh air?" And she told them not at all.

Once Jones left and Marie was alone with the devastated mother, she looked at her before she could start investigating and said, "Can you keep a secret ma'am? I lost my family too."

Mrs. Carter gasped and asked her, "Oh dear, you poor thing. What happened to them?"

Marie looked down sadly and told her they were murdered too. Mrs. Carter gave the officer a hug and told that she wishes her the best and Marie thanked her. Soon, Marie began to explore the kitchen hoping to find a clue to Jennifer's own murder. Suddenly, she found torn pieces of paper on the counter and she showed them to Jones after he came back in.

Jones tsked when he saw that the torn pieces of paper were the last pages of Jennifer's diary and thought, the drama of teenage angst. She then put the pieces together and they read that the page was about Raphael not leaving Trish and how the Colletti's were poison and how she hates them all. The two officer's thanked Mrs. Carter for her help and were about to leave to talk to Trish and Raphael when Mrs. Carter stopped Marie and Marie said to Jones she'll catch up soon. Mrs. Carter approached the female officer and asked her, "Does that young man know?"

Marie shook her head and told the woman, "No, as far as I know, the only one's who do are you, my friend in the town I grew up in, my late grandmother and my boss." And Mrs. Carter told Marie if needs anything she shouldn't hesitate to let her know and Marie thanked her.

Back at the warehouse, Marie and Jones met up with Trish. Once they told Trish about what was written in Jennifer's diary, Trish bursted out, "How dare you spread filthy lies like that!"

"Ms. Colletti, we're just saying what Jennifer wrote in her dia-," Jones said, but Trish interrupted shouting at him to stop.

She then ranted that Raphael would not live a snobby flirt like Jennifer, but he loves her and only her. Marie then told her to calm down and she did. Trish then asked the officers if she can go outside for a smoke and they did. After they talked to Trish, they went to Cooperville to talk with Raphael.

Once they met with Raphael and explained to him what they found Raphael said to them, "Okay, I admit it. Jennifer wanted me to break up with Trish. She said that the Collettis were poison. But I couldn't do that to Trish."