Chapter 51: It All Ends Here-Part 2

After Marie got a match of the person who snuck into the red party's office, she and Jones saw that the person in the picture who snuck in before Adam was killed was none other than the blue party's candidate Martha Price. Confused and curious, Jones asked, "But what was she doing in the mayor's office in the first place?! Could she have been the one who killed Adam?"

Seeing how insane it was, the two officers bolted to go and talk to her. However, Chief King was standing in their way and he said to them, "Mrs. Price can wait. I want you two to go secure the stand where the election's winner will be announced."

Shocked and confused by what he just heard, Jones protested, "What?! But sir, we can't lose time on..."

"Finding Adam Bentley's murderer is the top-priority, but so is the election winner's security! We cannot leave anything to chance! Marie, I'll be counting on you for this. Go and talk to Martha Price, but don't forget to check the election stand on the way," Chief King ordered and the two officers saluted to him.

Before they checked out the election stand, Jones and Marie decided to talk to Martha first. Once they approached her, Marie looked at her sternly and said, "Mrs. Price, we have proof that you snuck inside the red party's offices when no one else was around!"

Shocked and surprised by what she heard, Martha protested, "I wasn't! This is a lie! This is all Johnson's doing, he's trying to shift the blame onto me!"

"Mrs. Price, we have actual video footage of you inside the offices. There's no room for doubt here," Jones said.

Getting nervous, Martha explained to them, "Look, this has nothing to do with Adam Bentley, I swear it! You know how it is! I knew Johnson would have something planned for today. We campaign for months, but is when everything really matters! I just wanted to check out what they had planned and to be prepared for a counterattack! That's all!"

After Martha walked away, Jones let out a sigh and said, "You know something Marie, I'm really glad that the elections end today. I don't think I could deal with these bloody politicians for one more day! What really gets me off is that we can never trust them about anything! It's like lying is built into their DNA!"

"Ranting won't get us anywhere David. I'd say we go have another look at the hotel lobby. After all, it's the last place Adam went to before he was killed. But first, let's take the chief's word and check out the election stand," Marie pointed out and Jones nodded in agreement.

Once they arrived at the election podium, Jones said, "Alright baby girl, since King insisted on us securing this stand, we might as well take his word and be thorough."

It was then that Marie found a trash bag and thought that she should search through it. Marie also found a broken statuette that looked less messy to deal with. After Marie cut open the bag, she searched through the garbage until she pulled out a gun. When she showed Jones the gun, Marie also spotted scratches on it when the serial number was supposed to be and that got Jones thinking that it looks super fishy. Marie knew that she dealt with hard codes before, so deciphering the code on this gun wouldn't be too hard.

Before Marie could look at the gun, she decided to repair the statuette first. In a few seconds,
Marie repaired the statuette which was actually a garden gnome that looked like Mayor Johnson and it really creeped Jones out and he thought, who ever thought that it'd be a good idea to create a garden gnome that looks exactly like the mayor?! Jones then looked at Marie and said, "I hope you're aware that this might haunt my dreams for years to come Marie!"

Marie looked closely at the gnome's eye and she said, "Look at this Jones. There's a camera in this gnome's eye. It seems like someone was planning on spying on the election ceremony. I think we need to send this recording gnome to Alex straight away!" And Jones agreed in order to get the little horror out of his sight.