Chapter 46: Drive, Swing, Die-Part 1

A couple days later, tensions were still high between Paul and Marie. They wouldn't look or even speak to each other even though Paul apologized many times and Marie still felt humiliated and embarrassed by his actions. Scott was on the phone with Jones to see if he can do something to patch things up between his father and sister. Scott looked at Marie who was on the couch watching 'Cops' and then he looked at his father who was searching through the fridge for a soda.

It was then Scott said to Jones on the other end, "I don't know what to do Jones. Marie and my dad have been really silent with each other for the past two days. I don't think they're quite healed from what happened."

"I know what you mean kid. Your grandfather made me watch it all unfurl and I couldn't do anything cause he held me in place even though I desperately wanted to stop it," Jones said.

Just then, Scott looked at the brochures that came with the mail on the kitchen table and he saw one that had the Maple Heights golf course on it and it was then that he got an idea. Scott then said to Jones, "I have a great idea Inspector Jones! Why don't we take my dad and Marie golfing! Cause I'm sure that a few holes might get them out of their funk."

Jones smiled while sitting up on his couch and said, "That sounds like a great idea! Plus, it's a really beautiful day out there and I have a golf shirt that screams to be worn. You tell Marie and your dad while I get ready and I'll pick you guys up in a few minutes."

After Scott was done talking to Jones on the phone, he summoned his father and Marie to the couch and once they were sitting on different ends, he stood before them glowering and said, "You two need to lighten up right now! Cause from the way I see things, you're both acting pathetic! What Gramps did a couple days ago was humiliating for both of you, but instead of standing up for yourselves like you're supposed to, you gave in like a pair of scared animals!"

Scott then looked at his dad and said to him, "Dad, you taught me to be wary if Gramps ever came back and to stand up for the family. But before that, he manipulated me into killing Oliver's mother, your second wife. So now that he's back what does he do, he steals from you and makes you commit an incestuous act on a family member that you planned to take in before he committed that murder on Rachel Priest! Now I think it's high time you buck up dad cause things are gonna get a whole lot worse now that he's back on the streets again!"

Paul looked down at the floor in guilt and knew that Scott was right and he should've been stronger. Scott then looked at Marie and said, "And Marie, you knew how much of an asshole my grandfather was since you were the one who brought justice to your friend by putting him away. You should've stood up for my father instead of giving in, but instead you gave into my grandfather's whim so dad can get his life back on track! Now I know you're better than that cause you're not a rookie cop anymore, but a promoted Inspector like your boyfriend."

Marie also looked down in guilt and thought the same thing Paul was thinking. The two looked at each other and Paul said, "Scott's right. We should've been stronger. What kind of example are we showing to Oliver and the people around us when we do things like that."

Marie nodded in agreement and said, "I also want Oliver to grow up to be a strong independent individual someday. Maybe we should reconnect and find a way to put that nightmare behind us. What do you think dad?"

Scott smiled and then showed the two of them the brochure for the golf course and said, "Which is why Jones and I came up with the plan to go golfing today. So what do you guys say?"

Marie and Paul looked at each other, smiled and Marie said, "I think we can live with that." And Paul agreed.

A while later, Jones came to pick Marie and her family up while Mrs. Fusselpot stayed behind to watch Oliver. When Jones picked them up, Marie ever once blinked when she saw his golfing shirt and she thought, he really needs to get a better sense of fashion. At the golf course, the lot of them played some good rounds on the four holes they played and while they were playing, Paul and Marie started to reconnect and forget about Alden's heinous and humiliating offer. Once they arrived at the fifth hole on their golf carts and they stepped out, Jones took a deep breath inhaling the fresh air around him and said, "What a beautiful day today to play golf. It may cost a small fortune here, but it seems that everyone in Maple Heights plays it."