Chapter 34: Dead Man Running-Part 2

At their desks, Jones, Scott and Marie got the news from Nathan that he found traces of capsaicin on their victim where the needle was injected and they learned that their victim was allergic to spicy stuff which meant that their killer liked spicy food. After they heard that, Ramirez came to them and told them that the university called and told them that there was a break-in in the infirmary. After he heard that, Jones thought, what are the odds that a break-in would happen right after a student dies from and EPO injection?!

Marie then began to think in her mind that their victim Troy only intended to inject himself with his daily insulin dose, but the killer added a lethal dose of EPO to the insulin. And the only place where Troy can keep his medication is in the infirmary. Soon, Jones, Scott and Marie headed to the school's infirmary to check it out. At the university, Jones looked at a map he got from the reception desk and followed it to the football field and he saw that they put it near the field cause it's where the students get injured the most. Just then, they saw Chad Baker training on the football field and Marie said, "I can't believe he's back out here training after his teammate's death. I think we should talk to him after we check out the infirmary." And the two boys agreed and headed towards the infirmary.

As soon as they out there, Scott stood out of the way while Jones and Marie examined the lock and they saw that it was clearly forced open. After they entered, they started to search around to see if the burglar found what they were looking for. Just then, Marie found a syringe that could've been used for insulin injections, which also meant that Troy also used it and his killer too. Once Marie bagged it for Nathan to examine, Jones looked over to the infirmary fridge and wondered what was in it.

Once he told Marie, she opened it and started to rummage through the contents until she found a vial of EPO. Thinking that it can't be a part of the prescriptions and that it was one single vial, Marie suggested that they talk to the university's nurse and Jones agreed. Jones also suggested that they take a closer look at the vial after seeing a dark smudge on it. Before they examined the vial, Jones, Scott and Marie went to find Karimah Breen and ask her about it. As soon as they found her, the nurse looked at Marie and thanked her for investigating the break-in.

Marie then showed the woman the vial and asked, "Mrs. Breen, we happened to find a bottle of EPO in the infirmary fridge. Do you usually store products like these?"

Karimah shook her head and told them, "Of course not! I only gave the basic medicines and whatever the students need when they're on prescription. Some hormones I store too, but EPO is definitely not a part of the list. Pretty much the strongest thing I store in here is my extra-spicy hell sauce and that's just for personal use."

"So, what you're telling us is that the burglar actually left something behind?" Marie asked.

Karimah told them, "That's obviously it cause nothing's missing from my stocks. Trust me, I'm used to stuff disappearing on me, but I've never had this kind of thing happen before."

Surprised and shocked by what he heard, Scott asked, "Wait a minute, if your infirmary was burglarized before, why didn't you report the theft?"

"I assumed that it was one of the kids from the football team looking for a little boost. I didn't want to get them in trouble! Look, I know doping is wrong, but I'd rather have them steal from my infirmary than get whatever they sell on the black market these days," Nurse Breen explained to them.

After they were done talking to Karimah, Jones, Scott and Marie were heading to the football field to talk to Chad. Jones then put on his serious face and said, "For someone who knows doping is wrong, Nurse Breen sure doesn't seem to mind it that much." And Marie suggested that they should keep an eye on her and both of her boys agreed.