1. Boy next seat

Living a monotonous life could be poisonous. If we just keep doing the same things daily without an ounce of fun that sucks the life out of us. We don't realize but gradually we are dying this way.

Trisha Williams hated her friends for being that boring.

None of them had an impulsive bone in their body. None of them took the risk or thought of fun and when she was six and fell off while climbing a tree everyone looked at her as if she was weird. 

That is when her father explained her the concept of DNA. How girls were the gentler, responsible and poised kind and not supposed to do stuff like this, they were not supposed to be rash and impulsive.

And that Trisha had to be bound by those rules. But did make her wonder why she was not this way, why she was not soft and giggly or like to wear the color pink or why she did use the serene smile and spent every morning in front of the mirror making herself look pretty.

And for some reason as the time passed, she started feeling like a loner, like she couldn't be friends with the girls she was with while it was a rule not be friends with guys. You can only be friends with the one who matched your DNA, your soulmate and not indulge in talking to another male since they could control the DNA but testosterone was still not their forte.

Trisha found solace in painting, the things she could 't say she painted them in her basement art room which no one was allowed to visit, not even Ryan. The only friend he had was her brother who seems to care for her a lot but that didn't stop him from stealing her favorite food.

He was a part of science program now and they were working in making a flawless DNA now, with no bad thoughts, hardworking, kind and caring and injecting the ones that needed it, like criminals and stuff. She was not quite bothered by this idea but her father was disgusted as to how people are trying to alter a complete human, someone God made they will change the man.

But somewhere deep down she knew like Ryan did who was part of that research team that not everything could be done by humans.

And Trisha now knew perfect was a little too boring.

~~~

Her feet lazily dragged her to the class as she looked at her surrounding thinking about what she should paint today. Should it be the fake smiles that people gave each other or the cemented fate of finding the true love not decided by destiny but by doctors. She observed the couples in the hall, some lucky enough, very few who found their loved ones in young age while some die alone because their matching DNA move away or die.

How was this fair?

Where was the romance that was written in the books? Books that were written in the time when this matching pairs and DNA was not a thing.

She understood that matching one DNA to another will make pairs, altering them will divide male and female into a category to stereotype and that will help them divide suitable jobs for them. She understood that love brought pain and made people do stupid things but does that give someone right to take away that chance?

"Here take your onion bagel." Her friend Shyna said.

They were not close friends but she was the only one that tolerated her weird type among the well-groomed, modified girls.

"Thank you." She said with a faint smile.

"Are you prepared for the test?" Shyna asked with a tone of panic.

She answered as a nice family girl should, "Yes, almost."

In reality, she couldn't bring herself to read another word about biology.

"I am nervous even though I studied the stuff like three times." Trisha stopped herself from rolling her eyes in response.

Shyna was such a good girl like almost all the other girls she knew.

The test was important though, the top ten students will be sent as a transfer student to university and will get a chance to work with best teachers and mentors.

Trisha had no interest in doing so though, biology was definitely not her forte. She wanted to make a career in art instead.

She tuned out when Shyna talked about her favorite chapter from the biology book and entered the first math class. But something weird caught her eye and she noticed that in girl part of the class there was no seat left except for one Linda already saved for Shyna. Her seat at the back was occupied and another gorgeous looking girl was sitting there.

Everyone including her was staring at the new girl. She was beautiful.

But that was out of context now since her seat was gone and she realized why the class was so full. There were several other new faces in the class.

"Please sit down Ms. Williams." The teacher said from behind as he walked in.

"I am sorry sir but there is no seat in the girls' section."

Agitation crossed his face and he looked at the two empty seats in the boys' section. 

"Brett, you sit with Jim over there." That way Trisha could sit alone on the sit and not with a boy.

The problem was solved and class started though Trisha felt weird sitting in the section for boys who were a little unruly.

"May I come in, sir?" A male voice surprised everyone since it was late and this new student was about to get scolded.

"Yes?" Math teacher looked annoyed.

"I am sorry sir, I am the winner of Math test and a transfer student." The handsome boy introduced.

Trisha stared at him for a while awestruck because he was incredibly stunning.

Math teacher stared at him deciding whether to let him in or scold him. He sighed letting him in and not in the mood to waste time in talking.

And then the most absurd thing happened, enough to make everyone gasp and stare at that handsome looking boy and he sat down on the only empty seat, next to Trisha.

***

Meet our protagonist, share your views and tell me what bugs you so that I will correct it :)