Chapter 24 - The Reunion.

Slowly he lowered them to their place of refuge, that rock that forever moved but never left them behind.  

Suddenly standing before him, she looked up at him with all the years of misery and loneliness clearly visible in her eyes.  Raising her hand, she gently touched his cheek, his chin, his eyes, his hair, while she drowned in the vision she thought she would never see again.  "I missed you." she cried shakily, swallowing back the lump that had begun to form in the back of her throat.  "So much." she whispered, as her hands moved to lightly caress his face, afraid it would suddenly disappear if she removed her hand.

Taking her hand, he held it against his cheek as she had done to him so many times over the years.  "If you missed me, then why didn't you come home?" he asked softly, but the pain in his voice gave away the emotions that were raging through his body.  "Why Qian Qian?"  he asked, his voice suddenly breaking as he looked at her beautiful face he too thought he might never see again.

"Home?" she asked tearfully, suddenly wanting so much to return.  

"Yes!  Home Qian Qian." he said forcefully, as he gently pushed her back by her shoulders to look down at her.  "At my side.  Home!  Where you belong" he added softly.

"How can I go home after what I did Mo Yuan.  I broke my promise.  I kissed him." she cried falling to her knees at his feet before lowering her head into her hands as her crying intensified

Slowly lowering himself to his own knees, Mo Yuan suddenly began to laugh. But it was laughter that merely covered his confusion and shocked amazement.  "A kiss?  Is that why you ran away?  Why you hid from me for 7 years?" he asked astounded, unable to get his head around it.  "Because of a little kiss?"

Looking up at the sudden explosion of laughter, she saw no merriment in it.  "Huh?" she muttered up at him as her tears began to ease and confusion began to take over.  "You're not mad?" she asked just as shocked as he was.

"Oh, I'm mad." he replied with a smile.  "I am angry beyond words right now.  You stupid girl, do you have any idea what you put me through?" he asked though the tight smile as his eyes began to darken. "What you put your family through." he asked stunned, his anger beginning to rise with every word, causing her to stumble back onto her bottom in fear.  "And all because of a little kiss?"

"NO!  No, that's not why." she cried out sharply.

"THEN WHY!" he roared, bringing himself to his feet to bend down and haul her up roughly onto hers, before grabbing her by her shoulders and shaking her, making her cry out from the pain. 

"Mo Yuan, please listen." she said quietly when he finally let her go to stare down at her.  His breath was coming out thick and fast as his eyes bore into her angrily.   7 years of pain was clearly etched in his eyes, he had lost weight and had aged she thought to herself, as guilt overwhelmed her.

Taking his hand,  she led him to the day bed and sat him down, while she lowered herself to her knees before him, then conjuring the Chronicle scroll, she handed it to him. 

As he opened it to quickly scan it's contents she never once took her eyes from his face as she spoke.  "Mo Yuan, how could I come back?  Even now I'm so afraid you'll both continue where you left off." she said pointing at the scroll.  "Honghui is only interested in me because of what you did with his intended.  His powerful magic is so strong, I'm afraid I will once again fall under his spell, and I know you Mo Yuan.  You will not hesitate to battle for me and nor would you care if another war started because of me."  Then taking his hands she lowered her face unable to take his painful glare any longer.  "How could I allow a repeat of the past Mo Yuan?" She asked as the tears continued to fall.