Chapter 4 - Part 1. The Brotherhood

Being his first outing with his Seniors without Mo Yuan, Si Yin began to understand the thrill they all felt at the freedom of being able to do as they pleased.  They have been granted a whole afternoon in the mortal realm, and being his first visit, he finds the experience rather overwhelming.

The lower energy for a start has him struggling, but with Die Fengs help, he quickly learns a new breathing technique that assists him in managing his energy centers which helps significantly.  Then there is the noise.  It is deafening to his ears.  There is so much happening around him, the noise takes him some time to get used to.  Then there is also the smells.  It is a mixture of spices, produce and body odor which is sickening, and the change in his coloring is noticed by Ling Yu.

"Do you need to return Seventeenth?" he asked him laughing, knowing full well the reason for his lack of color.  All of them, underwent the same painful experience their first time to the Mortal Realm, but it only took a couple of visits before they got used to it.

"No, I will be fine." he says with a small smile that comes out looking like a grimace.

Then helping them to set up their stalls, they don't have to wait long for the customers to begin arriving.  Standing behind Ling Yu, both Si Yin and Zhi Lan watch on with growing interest.  

Ling Yu is palm reading a young boy who looks to be about 12 Mortal years, which has Si Yin wondering what the ramifications of reading a childs palm would have on his young life, but he says nothing as he listens intently.  Ling Yu patiently explains the lines on the boys palm, answering every question as he goes, then points out different aspects in the shape and length of his fingers, and how each one tells a story.  The reading is thorough, but he only stops when the boy fully understands what he has been told.

"The temple in the North side is where you will find your vocation, not here." he tells the young boy.  Then reaching into his pocket he pulls out a small piece of Jade and gives it to him.  "Take this with you." he says, before patting the boys head and sending him on his way.

Si Yin then asks Ling Yu to explain the reading.  Even though he could clearly see the boys palm, what he saw was not what he would have suggested.  "Tell me what you saw Seventeenth." Ling Yu asks.

Nodding he begins to explain his analysis.  "The boy is parent-less and lives freely on the streets, however his obviously short squat fingers would suggest he has a very strong will, temperamental, perhaps easily angered to the point of violence, also the shape of his palms are squared and heavily lined which suggests his anger would best suited to physical labor, perhaps construction or farming.  I would have thought The Temple life would not be suitable to his strong personality." he said.

"Excellent analysis Seventeenth.  And you are correct, that is indeed his personality.  However, you have forgotten his age.  He is just a child, living in the Mortal Realm, where his strong temperament could easily be corrupted by those who would seek to misuse his attributes for their own gain.  By sending him to The Temple, he could learn to manage himself under the right guidance until he is old enough to manage those around him, and the piece of jade will ensure his entry" he explained.

Nodding that he understands, Li Yu turns back to his next customer, a middle aged woman.  Taking her palm, he carefully read each line, then turning her hand over he read the lines of her knuckles.  "Hold your hand up comfortably in the air." he instructs her, which she does.  Nodding, he then takes her hand and lays it down on the table palm up.

"Your head line is long, which suggests you overthink things too much, however, because it is split at the base, you can easily meld yourself to any given situation or perspective, meaning you have the flexibility to change your mind, perhaps a little too much.  Your heart line contains two large breaks, which denotes heart break, both of which were traumatic for you."  and as he is reading, the woman begins to cry.