Chapter 23 - The Search 4

7 Years, 4 months, 16 days, 1 hour and 29 minutes Later.

Entering Mo Yuans study without a word, Zhe Yan sat down silently as he observed his friend reading through the mounting scrolls that he had neglected for far too long.  Though going by the few scrolls on his left hand side, he had barely made a dent in them.  

He hadn't even bothered to look up at his arrival let alone acknowledge his presence, which had now become a common theme, even the far away look in his eyes had become a permanent feature, that Zhe Yan had begun to wonder if that girl had any idea of the pain she had caused through her lack of understanding and outright stupidity for not bringing her concerns directly to Mo Yuan, or even himself. 

 Any one of them would have talked her through it, but to have disappeared without a trace leaving not only Mo Yuan in pain but her whole family, he knew that short of throttling her when she did return, the trouble she would face when her mother got her hands on her would rival a repeat of The Demon War she so desperately wanted to avoid.  But what she would face when Mo Yuan got his hands on her, he didn't even want to contemplate.

Every day for two years straight Mo Yuan had left the mountain in search for her, turning every Realm, its valleys and mountains upside down in a desperate and maniacal search that saw him create havoc everywhere he went without a care for the damage he caused or the consequences of his futile efforts to get her back.  And it had been two years of absolute hell for his Disciples who barely survived his rages, and even worse his deathly silence.  If not for Die Feng, who completely took over the care of his juniors, Mo Yuan may have lost them all.

But it was when he stormed the Demon Lands and began to upend every private residence he could get himself into, causing the Demon Lord to issue a final notice to cease to the Celestial Heavens, that saw Di Jun storm Kunlun Mountain and force him into seclusion.  For 3 years Mo Yuan disappeared.  And it was only within the last year that he emerged, but broken and defeated.  If that girl had any idea what she had done, she would not have put him through this he thought sadly to himself.

But it was all about to change.  Leaning forward, he gently removed the scroll from Mo Yuans hand and replaced it with a cup of tea.  And though he didn't look up or show any indication that he had even noticed what he had just done, his fingers automatically wrapped themselves around the cup as Zhe Yan coughed lightly.  

"I've found her." he said softly watching his friend very closely.

 Having sent regular missives to him over the years, it was when she mentioned the scroll, that her whereabouts was finally revealed.  The Tree Sprite clan were collectors of rare Chronicles and Literature, so it was known within their immediate circle that Mo Yuan and Honghuis scroll had been sent to them for safe keeping, as neither man wanted it in their possession.  

Knowing about the Tree Sprite barrier, he understood instantly how she was able to remain hidden for so long.  And it took only one missive to The Tree Sprites Empress to verify her whereabouts.  

No one but Zhe Yan would have noticed the subtle change in his demeanor as his words began to sink in, but the sudden shaking of his hands that held his tea cup spilling his tea all over the table in front of him, would not have been missed by anyone, as his eyes finally rose to look at him.

"Where is she?" he almost whispered, his voice shaky and unrecognizable.  Suddenly his eyes fired, as if his very life force had finally been returned to him,  even the color in his cheeks rose as he waited for the words that had eluded him for 7 years.

"The Tree Sprite Valley.  She has been there the whole time."  Zhe Yan informed him with a soft smile as he observed the immediate change in his friends demeanor and physical appearance.