Chapter 20 - Frayed

The return to Kunlun Mountain was a somber affair with every Disciple present when Di Jun and Mo Yuan arrived with Si Yin who was still unconscious.  Die Feng had already had his chamber prepared for him and the Elixir chamber readied.  Chang Shan too had already prepared the first few doses of pain relief, and were on his side table when Di Jun lay the boy down on his bed.

Di Juns presence immediately had his Disciples running.  For the Great God himself to turn up, they all instinctively knew that this was no ordinary visit.  And though Die Feng had only given a very brief over view of the events that had unfolded, none of his Juniors apart from Liang and Qiang knew the full story, or even why Di Jun was even present, but they did not tarry when orders were given, and nor could they tear their eyes away from him either.

Di Jun rarely visited anyone, preferring to stay at Taichen Palace his private residence, though he had on occasion visited Mo Yuan when the need arose, and only when absolutely necessary, so his visit that day meant that whatever had happened was huge, and that he entered carrying their Seventeenth Disciple in his arms was enough to see them all moving quickly.

Now resting in his study, Mo Yuan and Di Jun talked behind a privacy barrier of Si Yin and his true identity, though Di Jun already knew who she was having met her at the Festival of Peaches.  Now he understood why Mo Yuan had been closest to this particular Disciple and the mystery around Bai Qians lack of appearances before her fellow immortals.

"The issue isn't Bai Qian but Yao Guang." Di Jun said thoughtfully, though going by the look that Mo Yuan gave him, he was well aware of the fact, and nor did he care.  "So how are you going to explain her sudden disappearance.  It is common knowledge that she lived on Kunlun." he asked.

Mo Yuans face darkened once again.  "I'm not. This is my Mountain, and I don't owe anyone an explanation for what happens on my Mountain." he said softly, giving his old friend a look that told him he was in no mood to talk about that woman.

But Di Jun did not let it go.  "This might be your Mountain Mo Yuan, but she was not only a High Goddess, the only High Goddess, but she was also a Celestial." he pressed him further.  It was an issue that needed to be dealt with immediately.

Mo Yuan knew well enough of her standing and origins, but he couldn't care less.  "So?  I too am Celestial, and she paid a karmic debt owed to me and to Si Yin.  That is all I have to say on the matter." he said softly, but his eyes remained dark as Di Juns suddenly fired.

It was rare to see Di Jun show any kind of emotion, but with his brothers, Mo Yuan, Bai Zhi and Zhe Yan, they were the only ones privy to his emotions, and at that moment, if he had the ability to laugh, he would have.  But the sudden sparkle in his eyes was enough to bring calm to the situation.  Letting it go for now, he merely nodded before changing the subject.

"I will be holding another meeting with The Realm Leaders regarding the Ghost Tribe.  New information has just been received, though it can wait for now." he said looking up.  "Just keep it in mind.  We will need you there." 

It was the most Mo Yuan had ever heard him speak, and he looked at his friend with a deep frown, he had something to say and The Ghost Realm was not it.  "What?" he asked preparing himself.

With the smallest of smiles Di Jun looked directly at him.  "Bai Qian.  Other than yourself and the Bai family, who else knows her as your Seventeenth Disciple?" he asked, slightly tilting his head to the side curiously.

"Other than yourself, no one." he said flatly, and the look he gave him needed no interpretation.  No one else was to know.

"Hn." was all he replied before rising, and making his way to the door.