Chapter 19 - Part 3. Retribution

No sooner had Mo Yuan delivered the fatal blow, than Die Feng and his Juniors emerged into the rubble to fall at his feet.  "Shifu, we found him, but we can't get near." Die Feng informed him as his eyes took in the bloodied and dead body of Yao Guang.  The whole chamber and its surroundings had been completely destroyed in their battle, and Die Feng shivered slightly as he raised his head to look at Shifu.  The look on his face sent a cold dark chill down his spine. It was a look he had never seen before and he suddenly for the first time since becoming his Disciple felt raw fear in his Shifus presence.

"Let's go." he said walking towards the exit as his Disciples hurried to their feet to lead the way.  He had said it softly, but to Die Feng, even his voice had changed, that he moved as fast as his feet would carry him, suddenly not wanting to be any closer to him than he had to.

Reaching the stairwell, Qiang, once again raised his hands against the wall, until he felt Si Yins spirit.  It was still there, but weak.  "Here Shifu, he's behind this wall, but the barrier is at the end of the stairwell." he said as he continued to probe.  Liang too was still trying to make contact and as he probed the dense darkness in his minds eye, his hand suddenly shot up.  Immediately all noise ceased as he honed in on Si Yins faint call.

For a few brief minutes, Liang informed Si Yin that they were there, and close-by but to remain in meditative state and not to use any more energy, before opening his eyes and turning to face Shifu and his seniors.

"He's injured, and can't see where he is, but he did say he is bound and unable to move." he informed them, as they raced down the last of the steps to the barrier.

Upon reaching the barrier, Mo Yuan immediately began to probe it with both his hands and his mind.  Suddenly his eyes flew open.  This was no ordinary barrier, but a connecting barrier to the one holding Si Yin.  Moving back to the stairwell where Qiang had felt his spirit, Mo Yuan probed the wall looking for the connection.  

Just faintly, he could feel the connection, but it was on the other side of the wall, and breaking through it could be a trap, it was too risky.  If there were two barriers and both  were connected to Si Yin himself which he strongly suspected, then to destroy one, could instantly affect the other, even moving slightly would create friction against both barriers, which would not only cause exceptionally strong pain, but could cause the other barrier and its connection to implode in on themselves, killing Si Yin in the process.  It was a very old magic from the dark realms, and one he had learned as a child under his father The Heavenly Lord.

"We are going to have to find the other barrier" he whispered.  "Fetch the maids." he ordered Die Feng as his hands slowly scanned the wall down towards the barrier at the bottom.  There had to be another entrance he thought to himself.  Yao Guang would have had to leave from it. 

Ordering Liang to remain and continue to talk to Si Yin to keep him calm, Mo Yuan and Qiang raced to the top of the stairs where they were met by the maids who immediately threw themselves sobbing at his feet and begged for this lives. 

"If you want to live, you will tell me where Si Yin is and the second barrier" he said, his anger now out of control, as his sword once more came out and he aimed it at them both.  "This is the only time I will ask." he roared at them.

Both maids immediately began nodding their heads in resignation, before one of them raised up and pointed in the opposite direction.  "Lead." he said bending down and roughly hauling her to her feet before pushing her forward. "Move!" he ordered as she quickly began to walk towards the rear of the Palace.  If Mo Yuans harsh orders and demeanor frightened them, they scared his Disciples even more.  They had only ever known him to be gentle with his approach to others, even when he was angry, but this Mo Yuan had them all afraid.   Die Feng, being his first Disciple merely did as he was told and paid close attention, he was prepared for anything, while Qiang, who did not like confrontation and avoided it whenever he could, preferring a peaceful existence, merely closed down his mind slightly to ease the turmoil that he was forced into.