Chapter 18 - Divination

It had been a long time since Si Yin had visited the Mortal Realm to offer Divination, but now that his two personalities were in union with each other, he began to consider once again offering his own version of Divination, while he watched Zhe Lan and Qiang go through the motions.  It wasn't really that difficult to learn, especially the hand reading, though actual Divination required natural ability, something he now felt comfortable using without offending anyone, as he would have done in the past, though sometimes he still felt the urge to, especially on those who were so self absorbed in their own little world, they couldn't or wouldn't see past it regardless of who they hurt.

The market, as usual was busy, noisy, smelly and loud, but he was used it, though he did wear a thin barrier to mask the smells which on a hot day like that one was, only made it worse.  Everywhere he looked, he saw anger in the faces that flew past him, the Mortals were so fixated with the small things, they were ruining their precious time to grow spiritually, and it sometimes angered him too.  So few of them had any idea how wonderful their short lives would be, if they just loved the simple pleasures they were given, and stopped worrying so much on things they could not change.

And this was the main reason why he chose to stand back instead of offering his services.  He could sit there the whole day explaining why she couldn't find love, or why he was always struggling to pay his debts, but unless they were prepared to actually follow his advice it just seemed so pointless.  But his Disciple brothers found some measure of fun, so he always followed along with them just to witness their enjoyment if nothing else, and usually when they closed up for the day, they always went somewhere interesting before returning to Kunlun Mountain.

This day, only a handful of Disciples had come along, with his most senior brothers staying back with Mo Yuan to discuss an important issue that had apparently risen, and having left early for The Celestial Palace, only the younger ones remained.  And with only 2 tables, Si Yin waited behind Zhe Lan still deciding whether he would offer Divination or not, while he talked quietly to the others also waiting.  

Zhi Lan decided that this day he would practice bone reading, which was a complicated process, because it required the use of ones own energy to see through the thin layer of skin, and this could become dangerous if he used too much, as any Mortal with at least one working eye, would be able to see it.  Bone reading this way was also a great opportunity to enhance ones natural abilities to Divine information from the clients actual inner body, including the flesh and muscle that surrounds the bone, rather than just reading the lines on the palm of a hand.

Having already mastered this technique, Si Yin watched on with disinterest, but stood close in case he was needed.  Zhe Lan, not being as meticulous with his preparations as Si Yin was, he readied himself in case Zhe Lan used too much energy, or being over excitable, accidentally forced too much out.  But he didn't need to worry, he could see his brother had this time taken extra care with his energy as he motioned a woman in the crowd waiting towards him.

Suddenly Si Yins interest perked up. Dressed completely in white, and covered in a long thin veil that hid her face, she moved very gracefully towards the table.   Immediately sensing a barrier around her and the two women who were with her, Si Yin knew in an instant that these women were no Mortals. 

Refusing to sit,  Yao Guang instead chose to stand as a very delicate fair hand emerged from her long lace sleeve.  Without a word, she placed her hand directly into Zhe Lans, and waited while he turned her hand front and back, while making flattering comments on the loveliness of her skin, something Zhe Lan always did with his female clients to help them relax, but Si Yin never saw the reasoning in pointless flattery, not when it merely created false vanity.

Looking around briefly while she waited, her eyes lightly grazed across the Disciples standing behind the one reading her hand, when they suddenly flew back.  The boy standing directly behind the one sitting in front of her caught her attention immediately and it seemed she too had caught his.  The frown on his face and the narrowed eyes were watching her so intensely she could feel them almost boring into her.