15. Rose

Harry POV
((20 years ago))

Rose is the best. Most definitely the coolest person I've ever known.

I'm so thankful she is here to be my pretend mom and my best friend.

My parents call her "the nanny" but I don't really like how they kind of sound rude when they say that. I secretly call Rose "mom" in my head but never out loud because I don't want to offend my mother and make her hate me more than she already does.

Yes, my mother does hate me.

She's never actually said it and would never admit to it but I know. My father does too, just not as much as my mother.

I know why, too. Well, I know why they went from disliking me to hating me. It has a lot to do with the accident that happened 4 years ago (when I was 8). My mother was pregnant with my baby sister but something bad happened and the baby died. They've hated me for what happened ever since.

I told them that I was sorry 100 times and they say that everything is okay and they still love me but they talk to me even less than before. They leave home more often and stay away for even longer periods of time. They don't really smile at me anymore. My mother doesn't smile at anyone. When I went to them for things they'd tell me to "go to the nanny" or "ask Rose."

After a while I'd just go to Rose first for everything. And it's a thousand times better that way anyways.

I guess I should tell you more about Rose.

Right now, Rose is 29 but she came to me when she was 18. I was a baby then; she's been raising me ever since.

I don't know a lot about her life before she was with me but she was very poor and kind of homeless. My parents found her and told her they would help her by giving her a place to live and feed her and all she'd have to do is help them take care of me when they couldn't.

She takes care of me even when they can, though.

Rose loves me; she tells me all the time. We have a lot of fun together. She's private about certain things but in general we share a lot with each other. She's the best cook in the world and best singer. She's funny and supportive. I love her.

I love her laugh, her hair, her voice, her hugs, the way she smells and the way she looks in all her dresses. She's the most beautiful person in the world, inside and out.

It's my biggest wish to be able to be with her forever.

The other day, I went outside to the porch so my parents wouldn't see me cry.

I was crying because I was trying to tell my father a story but he wouldn't listen and told me, "Harry, I'm sure Rose would love to hear your story. I'm too busy right now," but Rose already knew the story.

It upset me a little and instead of leaving him alone I decided to be stubborn and continued to try and get his attention. It didn't work until I accidentally knocked over an old snow globe and it broke. He furiously yelled at me.

So I ran outside to the porch and sat in one of the corners and hugged my knees so I could bury my face in between them to cry.

I heard the back door opening but didn't look up to see who it was until I heard my favorite voice speak, "Harry?"

I looked up to see her standing in front of the door. She looked at me with a worried face and had her head tilted to the side. She had on a knee-length, peach colored, sleeveless dress that I had never seen before. Her arms were folded until she brought them down to hold her hands in front of her.