7. Everything

I'm not on a chain anymore.

I don't know why he did, but yesterday he just randomly came in with food and toiletries and undid the chain.

A couple of hours later I tried my luck and went to leave the room but there's something stopping the door from opening. I don't know if it's locked from the outside or if there's something blocking it from opening (it's a weird door that opens outwards).

Either way, I can't get out.

The window, like I said before, is sealed shut. There's literally metal bars in front of it that are so spaced together I can hardly fit my fist through them. Even if I did break the glass, how would I get out?

The only way I actually benefit from being unchained is that now I can sit in the rocking chair and look out the window. (And I don't have to ask to go to the bathroom anymore.)

There's not a damn thing in front of the house but a cobblestone road that turns into a dirt road (I think) and trees.

And this whole 'me being Rose' thing... I'm actually trying to play the part. If that's what it'll take for him to trust that I won't run.

I mean I was hardly trying before and being passive about it and that alone got me unchained and in a new room.

But I don't know how to be this person he wants me to be. I don't even know what she was to him. She could've been anything! A best friend, a family friend, a maid, an adopted sister, step mother, lover, anything.

I'm assuming she's an old lover? There's not much evidence to back that up but who would go through all this trouble to recreate an old maid or stepmom?

How can I be someone I know absolutely nothing about except for the fact that we share the same race and gender?

My thoughts were interrupted by some noise behind the door and then him walking through it.

I guess nows a good time to figure it out.

"Hey," I whispered nervously. I'm trying to be as casual as possible but that's hard when you're talking to the crazy man that kidnapped you.

"H-hi," he said even softer than when I spoke. He twisted his mouth before sticking out the bowl of what looked like Chef Boyardee for me to take from him.

I stood from the rocking chair and instead of walking to him, I sat on the edge of the bed. He looked at me with a confused frown.

I patted the empty space next to me with a small smile. He hesitated for a second but came and sat next to me.

"Thanks," I said as I took the bowl from him. He didn't respond.

He's clearly not a social person. At all.

"Um," I hummed but he didn't look up at me, "What's your name?"

There was that look again. The one that was frustrated by the fact that I wasn't being Rose properly. Because of course, Rose would already know his name.

I don't know what he expects? For me to just automatically embody this random person?

"Harry. You know that," he said a bit angrily. No, I didn't but okay. 

"Harry," I repeated. It's a habit of mines. Repeating people's names upon learning them. It helps me remember.

He looked at me blankly. "Thanks for... reminding me?" I raised a brow at him. He just rolled his eyes and looked away.

Dick.

I ate some of the ravioli before talking again, "What do we... usually do together?" I ask, trying to get a better understanding of their relationship.