36. Apathetic

Harry is acting stand off-ish.

After some time, he finally came to face me. By then, I had lost all that angry energy. He brought up a literal tray of food. Roast, potatoes, green beans, rolls, cookies and just one bottle of water. I was too thankful and eager to finally eat that I no longer cared about trying to fight him. I'd lose anyways.

When he came up, I was lying across the bed, completely weak.

I thought he'd see the mess I made of her room and honestly... beat the shit out of me. He didn't even acknowledge it.

That was the first sign where I noticed something was a little off. More off than normal.

He gave me the food and sat on the edge of the bed for a little while as I nearly choked from food inhalation. Even though I hardly looked at him after seeing the food, I could tell he wanted to say something.

Probably another weak ass apology he gives after hurting me.

But he didn't. He just got up and left.

It's crazy how he does shit like get terrifyingly touchy or aggressive with me only to show a sense of morality and apologize afterwards.

I can't read this man for shit.

I don't know when he's a monster, a child or a creep. I can't tell whether he's completely insane, or just needs some counseling. Did he actually love Rose like a mother or a lover? Does he even actually want to be doing all of this, or does he feel, I don't know, like he has to? Is he a sad case or just sick and evil?

He shows signs of embodying all of those things. I've felt every emotion but love toward him because he's left me confused several times.

He doesn't make any sense.

And now, he's yet again unrecognizable. I don't know what's going on with him but he's different. Apathetic.

He doesn't care that I trashed the woman he's obsessed with's room. He doesn't seem to care about anything I've been doing. It's like he doesn't care about me anymore.

I mean, he never actually cared about me, just Rose. Still, he cared about everything I did in some way, whether with anger or in a lustful way. Which by the way, makes sense now that I know what he started to do to her.

After facing me, he just seemed so unmoved. When I snapped at him, he didn't react. He doesn't talk to me anymore. Not a word. His distance scares me more than his closeness did. I don't know what that means for him, or me.

This morning, amongst the pile of Rose's stuff that lied all over the place, I found a small, wooden pencil.

I picked it up, and Rose's last journal and started to write on the next empty page.

Kimberly Goudeau                           I don't know the date

               My full name is Kimberly Giselle Goudeau. I am 26 years old. I worked for a PR firm in New Orleans, Louisiana. I am from Houston, Texas. I have no spouse or children. If this is somehow found before I am, please inform Diana Guidry. Soon to be Diana Sutton.
              About 6 months ago, I was kidnapped from my home on a Saturday night. I was taken by Harry Thibodeaux, 32, and brought to his home. He's taken other girls before and murdered them. He's probably murdered his parents (I don't know) and his Nanny, Rose Broussard (whom he is trying to replace through me and every other girl he's taken), years ago. The house is an old plantation home. There are spirits here. All are women who I'm assuming worked for the family at some point in history, including Rose. I'm not imaging it; I'm not crazy. It's true. Harry has taken care of me (poorly, but still) and attempted to form a stable relationship. But on the contrary, he has also made me feel uncomfortable, he's kissed on me, choked me, dragged me through the woods, burned me, chained and tied me up, thrown me to the ground, starved me, drugged me, punched me, lied in bed with me and threatened me. All of which I think outweighs any meal or bathroom privileges he's given me. In order to survive for as long as I have, I've had to act as the nanny he's previously raped, abused for years and eventually murdered. I've had to pretend at times that I cared about him and didn't feel resentment towards him. There has been maybe two times that I mistakenly bonded with him. Him and this house has driven me mad on several occasions. Harry Thibodeaux is a deeply distraught and disturbed man. He is not to be felt sorry for in any way for he has hurt so many people and families.
I am writing this because even though I've been able to make it this far, things are starting to change I believe. I have a weird feeling about how the near future will turn out for me.

               I think something is going to happen to me very soon.

There's only a handful of chapters left of this story, guys. (It's okay tho I have a new one in the works)

This doesn't have shit to do with anything but I feel GREAT. Finals are next week, I only have three and I'm not stressed. I'm a first year but have already made so much progress in terms of networking and career advancement. I just ate a good ass meal. It was a mini personal pizza with a little ass bowl of pasta but to a college student like me, that's a feast. It's like 3:00pm and tbh I don't have to eat for the rest of the day after that.