3. Wrong Person

I lied on my back on the concrete floor and stared at the ceiling. I refused to sleep on that mattress so I allowed myself to eventually fall asleep where I was.

I wish I knew how long it'd been or what time it was at least. There was not a single window to tell me if it was daytime but I'm assuming it was.

A sporadic tear would make its way out and stream down the sides of my face and to my ears. I was tired of screaming and sobbing. I just didn't have the energy to do it anymore.

Every once in a while I glanced at the door, hoping someone would burst through to save me and also anxious about him coming back.

I had been thinking about my family for a while now and how I really wish I was back in my home state with them right now. I should've talked to them regularly— especially my mom.

Maybe if I kept constant contact with them like I should have, I'd have that relationship where she'd call me in the morning or at night before bed to check up on me. And then she'd be currently worried about why I wasn't answering the phone.

Instead, if she called right now and I didn't answer, she'd assume I was too busy.

Same with Diana. Her life was just as busy as mines so we didn't do much texting and calling each other during the week. We'd make up for the time lost on Saturdays; like last night. So it'd be a week before she noticed I was missing.

The guy I lashed out at two weeks ago would check up on me. But after a bump in the relationship I told him to never talk to me again (among other things).

My neighbors wouldn't worry. They know I'm always gone.

A few more tears streamed at the realization that I could be missing for a while before anybody noticed. I blinked them away and tried to not think about that.

My thoughts went back to my mother and how she used to sing this Nina Simone song while doing housework when I was a kid. 'Ne me quitte pas'.

I don't know what it meant really but I knew the words.

I closed my eyes and began to mutter the lyrics to myself. Trying to go back to that happy place.

"I missed hearing you sing that song, Rose"

The sound of the deep voice made me flinch and sit up quickly.

Who was he talking to?

"What?" I said shakily. I tried to study him again. He looked like how I remembered except this time his hair was disheveled and he had on pajamas.

He looked down at what he had in his hand and pursed his lips.

"I... brought you one of those pastries you like," he waved the food wrapped in Saran Wrap in the air and slowly began to walk down the steps.

My heart was beating so fast. I started to fidget due to nervousness about him coming close to me. My leg moved a bit and the sound of the chain rattling broke the silence of the room and oddly caused both of us to freeze for a second.

He looked at the chain and twisted his mouth before continuing to come close to me. He stopped a couple feet away, squatted down and rolled the wrapped-up desert toward me. I just looked at it.

"Store bought," he grew a crooked smile, "I can't make them like you used to, Rose," he chuckled.

I drew in my brows, "Who is Rose? What are you talking about?"

He seemed a little annoyed by my question but ignored it still. He noticed I was shaking and gave me a sympathetic look.

"No reason for you to be scared, it's just me," he said softly and turned up the corner of his mouth into a half smile.

"I don't know you. I'm scared because you fucking kidnapped me and chained me up in a basement you sick shit!" My voice grew louder as I went on and he seemed to be hurt by my words.

He took a breath, "Rose—"

"You have the wrong person! I'm not Rose!"

He was angry now. He shot up from his squatting position, fist balled and breathing heavily.

I looked up at him in complete fear and slowly crawled backwards.

"I... I need you to be—," he paused, still trying to recollect himself.

I slowly put my hands out and slowly did that calming motion (I was also trying to defend myself in case he did something). "I'm so sorry but you have the wrong person," I spoke carefully.

"If you would just... let me go..." he began to glare at me and I grew 10x as scared, "we can just forget about it— I'll forget about it, I won't tell anyone. Please," I started to do that lip-trembling cry again.

He looked away from me and I noticed that he wasn't trying to stop himself from blowing up but from... crying maybe?

I felt a little relief to know that he wasn't really aggressive as far as I knew, but emotional. He was still very disturbed so I couldn't calm too much.

He blinked away the tears in his eyes and shook his head, "I can't. I'm sorry but I can't let you go again," he refused to look at me as he turned around to leave.

Hopeless, I began to cry softly.

"I'm so stupid," I cried quietly to myself.

"How could I have let this happen to myself? Why didn't I listen and turn on the alarm and lock the door as soon as I got in?"

I could see from my peripheral vision that he'd stopped in the middle of the short staircase.

He looked over his shoulder so I could tell he was speaking to me but he didn't look at me, "Don't call yourself stupid, Rose," he sounded sad that I'd said that, "You're the smartest person I know."

I didn't even try to rebuttal. He was persistent on believing that I was this 'Rose' person.

He got to the door and opened it but stopped. I tried to look and see what was out there but there was just darkness.

"And..." he began again, "you locking the door after Diana left wouldn't have mattered." He said her name as if he knew her.

"I was inside long before she even got there," he stated like it was nothing.

I wanted to vomit. How long had this person been in my house alone with me? The thought of someone watching me for god knows how long inside my own home made me feel sick. I mean, who does that?

"They're gonna come looking for me you know," my voice shook, "my friends, coworkers, family... my fiancé," I lied trying to scare him.

"They surely know I'm gone by now. You could either return me now... or anytime now the police will come bursting through here..."

He looked like he was trying to hold back laughter.

"You have no family. Or fiancé, Kimberly," so he did know my name, "I've watched you long enough to know that no one checks up on you... and no ones gonna find you here," he said before proceeding to leave.

I felt even sicker.

I instantly began shrieking for help as loud as I could while he had the door open but I'm sure it was useless.

Even with the door shut, I continued to scream, praying that anyone could hear me.

If you spot any grammatical or spelling errors please tell me! Apart from that pls give input on the story :)