14. I'm Your Best Friend

TW// Men being gross

He isn't acting like a 5 year old today. He's more like a 17 year old mama's boy.

We hung out in the breakfast area all morning. It had been the second time since I've been here that I've felt the slightest bit of joy in his company.

The first was when he took me to the back porch. That was very serene (before it got terrible).

This wasn't serene but still good. Like how you feel when you're joking around with a friend.

I missed Diana.

Also, don't get it twisted. Me allowing myself to enjoy things in the slightest just makes all of this easier to cope with. I'm still set on trying to get out of here.

"You need to get some action," I said after taking a sip of cranberry juice.

"What?" He snorted and looked at me with an appalled face.

"You know... a lady friend," I teasingly wriggled my brows at him. He turned red and embarrassingly shook his head. Dimpled grin never leaving his face even when he tried to hide it.

"Yes," I rebutted. He quietly shook his head again with a shy smile.

"Why not?!" I gave him a look of disbelief.

"Because"

"'Cus what?"

"I just... don't need anyone else," he shrugged and pressed his lips together. He wasn't really smiling genuinely anymore; it was one of those 'I'm okay but I'm really not' smiles.

I stared at him with a sympathetic look. I feel a little bad for him. I genuinely do. He looks at me from the corner of his eye and then looks away before picking up his bagel.

"Harry...," I said seriously and he looked back at me (kind of. He's not great at eye contact when he's not being a monster).

"I don't," he said a little defensively. Not in a scary way, in a way a kid would talk back to his parents. I tilt my head to the side and observe him.

"When was the last time you even got some?" I try to lighten the mood without changing the subject entirely.

He jerked his head back a little and frowned, "some what?"

"Ass, Harry"

He looked at me as if I just said the most disgusting thing in the world. His face made me laugh out loud. He finally closed his mouth from having it agape and shook his head aggressively, "ew, no," He squirmed and put his hand up toward me.

"Oh my god," I said in a concerned tone.

"I don't want to talk about this with you," he folded his arms.

I rolled my eyes playfully, "Why not?"

Instead of answering me he took a big bite of his bagel and sipped some juice so he could eat it all at once.

"I'm your best friend, aren't I?" I gave him a half smile. Apart from being his mother figure, Rose was also his best and only friend. From what I've read so far, she was all he had.

He stopped chewing and looked at me as if I had said something he was shocked but also glad to hear. We kept soft eye contact for a few seconds before he slowly started to chew again and nodded his head once.

"And as your best friend, I want you to go out and enjoy yourself and find someone! This big 'ol house belongs to you and is supposed to be passed down from generation to generation. Do you not want a spouse and kids to pass it down to?"